Handles for Officer's Desk

huskerblitz

Major
My son is making an officer's desk in his high school woods class. What is the correct handles one would have for the desk, handles or leather straps?

Something like this?
http://charliesboatworks.com/field_desks.htm

fielddeskhandles.jpg

Hmmm....was that standard or widespread? Honestly I haven't seen many like that before and I'm not sure inserts are an option at this point.

....What is the correct handles ...

Yeah, for $85 I will have to pass. They look great, but not in my price range for this project.

My apologies, but that was just an example of what to look for. If you do some searches, you may find a set that costs less. .... Unfortunately, "correct" and "cheap" tends to be mutually exclusive, especially when it comes to hand made items.

There are lots of pictures out there showing different style handles on field desks. I went with simple rope style because my desk was very plain construction. Built in camp by a company carpenter with available materials.

There are lots of pictures out there showing different style handles on field desks. I went with simple rope style because my desk was very plain construction. Built in camp by a company carpenter with available materials.

Excellent! I would extremely love to see a mid-1800s period photo of an real CW desk with a rope handle built in camp by a company carpenter. .... and not one built by or for a reenactor. Thank you in advance.

Back