Hancock Avenue ca. 1900 T&N

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
ia2.jpg

Taken from an elevated position, this early reunion photograph shows a Union veteran sitting next to Hancock Avenue in front of the monument to Andrew's Sharpshooters. He appears to be reminicing with a tourist while his tour carriage waits in the background. Arnold's Battery monument positioned at the inner-angle is seen in the background with the Copse of Trees behind. My modern photograph is very similar though taken at ground level.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to start carrying a ladder, @Gettysburg Greg :D In your "now" picture, there IS a group of trees showing in the background, but it seems too close to be part of the copse. The change of perspective is just enough to alter appearance of distance.
Yes, @Bee, that is the Copse in the background of both photographs. See the HWM monument and the fence around the trees?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought you said on your tour it was highly unlikely there was a convergence point? And even more unlikely it was a crops of trees?

Yes, yes, yes and yes :smile:
I was just playing with the word convergence.

As you very well saw, the Copse of Trees or ever the "enemy line" was well invisible for about half of the Confederate Troops that took part in it.

Not to mention the silliness about "converging" 15000 people in a 20 foot wide space. Or. So.

As you very well saw, the Copse of Trees or ever the "enemy line" was well invisible for about half of the Confederate Troops that took part in it.

Not to mention the silliness about "converging" 15000 people in a 20 foot wide space. Or. So.
:smile: Ok now you're talking.

Good, because your tour completely convinced me that your observations were correct. It was well prepared and equally well thought out. I was amazed to see how much of the terrain was below the line of site of the ridge and as you so well pointed out. If you can't see them, they can't see you.

Back