Guy Eating 1863 Hardtack

Actually, I think I know what he means by "smelling like library books." I remember going to our public library. in the children's area and there was a distinct smell to it. Can't describe though.

Did they carbon date that thing? :smile:

I asked a FaceBook friend in Italy to send me some WW2 relics that they had dug up in Italy. I wanted some simple items that would be used by the typical GI.
He sent me a few rusty items and some bottls and C-Ration packets dug out of a garbage pit.

One thing he sent was a Biscuit---which is pretty much the equivalent of Hardtack. It had been cooked in a fire and was carbonized. You can still read "KEEBLER" imbossed in the biscuit(Upside down in this image).
Relics -Biscuit_n.jpg

Sorry that I digress to WW2 but I was wondering if any Hardtack had been dug up on a battlefield?

Interesting question, DixieRifles. If some are found, it would be more proof that the things last longer than any war. You could tile the roof; use them to cover worn places on the soles of your shoes; plug a hole in a tire; bullet proofing, etc. Sounds like an infomercial could be just what hardtack needs.

--BBF

I keep asking myself why he's doing this. Wouldn't the hardtack be considered to be some kind of, oh I don't know, relic?
My thought too.

That is good question of whether Hardtack has been dug up on any battlefields or areas where troops camped during the Civil War. I am looking for information but have found nothing definite yet. Maybe some of you can research too.

It seemed since soldiers would soak hardtack in coffee or other liquids, it might not have lasted on a battlefield. Being outside, it, the hardtack would have got wet and soggy and just disappeared. Just a thought.

Back