Guns of the Civil War

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Guns of the Civil War I purchased this a few months ago and put it on the self without much more than a quick scan. Just the kind of book I liked as a kid, lots of nice color pictures and not too much reading. Is Guns of the Civil War worth putting on my "to read" shelf?

bill bill 999.jpg

On a reading shelf? Well, coffee table definitely. I have a book on historic firearms in my classroom and had to restrict it to reference status. It got 'lost' a couple of times and even though it's a hardcover it's pretty beat up from so much use. Great pictures, few words. In short...my students loved it!

Ok I have read this book cover to cover twice. For some non uniform people, this book might be just a bit dry, but hey everyone and I mean everyone can explain the difference between a 1872 helmet and a 1881 helmet, but who can explain the difference between a 1881 helmet and a 1882 helmet? Yes I am the life of the party at most social gatherings and all family reunions.
bill bill 999a.jpg

It does have a lot of very interesting photos.

I'll take the coffee-table intro to Civil War guns book any day. I was actually looking for just this sort of thing in this forum. As a relatively new gun and CW enthusiast, I need the visuals. Thanks for posting this.

Back