Greetings from Warrenton VA

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

Here's "Alway's Ready" by Keith Rocco, depicting the 9th New York "Hawkins' Zouaves" at Antietam:
Always Ready.jpg

Oh my gosh! All this is wonderful. I can see you all have been busy knowing about Zouaves! Frontrank2, and AUG351, thanks especially for those images. I've come across some illustrations, one of which (with three figures in it) has one (the fellow on the right) that would especially work for my project. Anybody know whose permission I would need to obtain in order to adapt it? Here 'tis:

Attachments

• 8788_10_52-10th-new-york-zouaves.jpg
    8788_10_52-10th-new-york-zouaves.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 565
Oh my gosh! All this is wonderful. I can see you all have been busy knowing about Zouaves! Frontrank2, and AUG351, thanks especially for those images. I've come across some illustrations, one of which (with three figures in it) has one (the fellow on the right) that would especially work for my project. Anybody know whose permission I would need to obtain in order to adapt it? Here 'tis:
Not sure what the original source is, but 1. appears to be the 72nd Pennsylvania "Baxter's Zouaves," 2. is a vivandiere, and 3. looks like the 23rd Pennsylvania "Birney's Zouaves."

Welcome.

About a half hour away from you, at the Brawner Farm Interpretive Center in Manassas Battlefield Park, you can see this mannequin:

Brawner-5th-New-York-soldier-4-285.jpg

This is a 5th NY "Duryee's Zouave". I don't know how similar the uniforms of the 9th NY and 5th NY were, but maybe this will be of some help?

Thanks, all of you, so much! The mannequin at Manassas looks interesting. And wow, frontrank2, that's a fabulous photo. Lots of different uniforms. Hmm. The design job I'm doing references these Hawkins Zouaves. Were the same ones also called the Baxter Zuaves at some point?

Legion Para, I see that the NY 11th might well have marched and fought in my client's region, but local lore has it that it was Hawkin's (Hawkins'?) Zouaves, and weren't they part of the 9th? An earlier suggestion that I look to the 72nd Pennsylvania was juicy -- all the local place-names are among the places where they camped. So now, I'm confused.

There is a local stream (Hawkins Run) in the Amissville area that was supposedly named after Hawkins, which is indirectly why I'm looking for a full-figure image of a Hawkins Zouave -- in the correct uniform -- to use in my graphic.

Let me see if @FrenchZouave might answer my call :smile:

scan0004-jpg.jpg

Some zouave reenactors photographed on the set of the movie Glory; welcome to the forums!

Edit: These are also portraying the 5th New York Zouaves which is the unit you will most often find represented.

Hey, everybody! My client already did some work for me -- 9th NY wins! Will that graphic I posted serve (the fellow on the right)? I hope so. Wish I knew whom to contact for permission to use him. This is "The Tale of Hawkins Run" from their website. (My client is a winery).

The 9th New York volunteers (Hawkins Zouaves) were a distinguished and successful unit, a US Civil War precursor to later “Special Forces” troops. Commanded by Colonel Rush C. Hawkins, the Zouaves saw action throughout Virginia and North Carolina in 1861-62.

As the story is told:
In December, 1862 Hawkins received orders to have his troops "with all possible haste and alacrity" report to General Burnside and the Army of the Potomac in crossing the Rappahannock river for an assault on Fredericksburg. Landing his troops at Harper's Ferry, Col. Hawkins immediately undertook a series of forced marches of between 30-40 miles per day (20 miles was the recommended standard at the time).

Upon arrival in Fredericksburg near dusk on December 14th Hawkins, although expecting to be able to rest his men, was commanded to have his unit immediately join the fray in support of Burnside’s beleaguered troops. The results were predictable and their defeat was the final action of the Battle for Fredericksburg as Burnside withdrew the next day attributing their loss, as much as possible, to the Zouaves’ lack of readiness for combat.

The Civil War was also referred to as "the War Between Brothers" and it is possible that Col. Hawkins was related to the Hawkins family still residing in the South (at that time farmers, albeit a large and well off farming family).

The local Hawkins family saw their true rise with the birth of George Washington Hawkins in 1848. Although we cannot find record of his serving during the Civil War, it is not unlikely that he was familiar with stories of Hawkins' "Run" from Harper's Ferry to Fredericksburg and later, when he became a wealthy and famous builder in a Virginia run by Northerners and Carpet Baggers, that he had the influence to have a local stream running into the Hazel River named "Hawkins Run" in a tongue-in-cheek commemoration (and back-handed snub to the North) of his "famous" relative's role in the South's victory at Fredericksburg.

As for Col. Hawkins? His experience with General Burnside may have been the reason that he suddenly became a vocal and outspoken critic of the Union Army’s policies of “promoting to Command rank, men of family name and wealth, without regards to their abilities or fitness for position”. In 1863 he was charged with insubordination and summarily mustered out of service.

Despite the circumstances behind his removal, some of his writings on policy later came to the attention of Abraham Lincoln and, in 1865, Hawkins was appointed Brevet Brigadier General in the New York Militia.

In 1872 Hawkins was elected to the NY State Assembly and was an avid rare books and art collector.

In October, 1920 at the age of 89 he was struck down and killed by a car as he was crossing the street outside his 5th Ave home in New York City.

Oh! Wonderful! Do you know how I can contact Don Troiani?
scan0004-jpg.jpg

Some zouave reenactors photographed on the set of the movie Glory; welcome to the forums!

Edit: These are also portraying the 5th New York Zouaves which is the unit you will most often find represented.

You look mahvelous! I've seen Glory about three times, I think :smile: Were you in some scenes?

Welcome from Oklahoma... while not the unit you're looking for, here is a pic of a Cincinnati Zouave Guards uniform from the Top of the Rock CW museum in Branson, MO...

upload_2015-8-11_11-27-19-png.png

20150808_175833-jpg.jpg

Oh! Wonderful! Do you know how I can contact Don Troiani?

You look mahvelous! I've seen Glory about three times, I think :smile: Were you in some scenes?

Unfortunately, I have NO idea about Troiani; I own four of his prints and that's the closest I've ever been to him! He attended at least one of the 125th anniversary reenactments I also attended but I never met him. The photo isn't of me! I did, however, work extensively on Glory (as seen in my avatar) and have written a thread about it here in the forums. I worked on it and another couple of films with another friend who actually served as a model for some of Troiani's prints, but unfortunately I no longer know how to contact him either!

Back