Grave marker for Confederate Soldier

S

Sharon

I'm posting this for another lady. Can someone give information for getting a grave marker for her family member? Thanks
"I thought the national park service was going to put up a headstone at Andersonville GA National Cemetery for my g.g.uncle who was imprisoned there, starved and died there during the Civil War. There’s just an Unknown Soldier headstone now. But now I’ve been told that they are not going to erect one with his name. So he gave his life for his country but his country won’t honor him with a stone with his name... forever unknown. How sad. But the NPS says he must be one of six unknowns that died on that certain day but since they don’t know which one, they can’t put up a new one.

That's an unusual case, in part because of all the CW national cemeteries, the one at Andersonville has (by far) the smallest proportions of "unknowns" -- something like 97 or 98% of the Union prisoners who died and were buried there were subsequently identified and re-interred after the war.

The discussions your friend has had with the VA may be a bit more complex than her message. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but I do see what appears to be the VA's point. The grave containing the remains of her ancestor is one among a number that are marked (although as an "unkown"), and the VA is reluctant to place a named marker over an individual grave without knowing to a reasonable certainty that it's the correct one. Is that how you understand the situation? Does you friend feel she knows which specific grave it is, and if so, how?

I'm posting this for another lady. Can someone give information for getting a grave marker for her family member? Thanks
"I thought the national park service was going to put up a headstone at Andersonville GA National Cemetery for my g.g.uncle who was imprisoned there, starved and died there during the Civil War. There’s just an Unknown Soldier headstone now. But now I’ve been told that they are not going to erect one with his name. So he gave his life for his country but his country won’t honor him with a stone with his name... forever unknown. How sad. But the NPS says he must be one of six unknowns that died on that certain day but since they don’t know which one, they can’t put up a new one.

This man may be able to help :[email protected] Here's his bio from find-a-grave:

Until 2011, I was a volunteer historian for the National Park Service for 15 years. The arrival of a new Park Superintendent at Andersonville who who had conflicts in the way I pay tribute and honor those who died here brought on what I believe were acts of retaliation against me between November 2009 and May 2011. As a result of my belief that the lack of ethics and true honor paid to these hallowed grounds are not a priority of the command at Andersonville National Historic Site, I no longer volunteer for the National Park Service however I still volunteer for the public.... those who matter.

I have a complete database on Andersonville prisoners as well as modern graves up to 2006. I do free research for the asking. As in all of my findagrave photos, double click on the photo and I have included the known details from the Andersonville record archives.

I have many resources available to me for researching not only Andersonville prisoners that the Andersonville Historic Site does not have access to and I have photographed each of the more than 14000 Federal Civil War graves at Andersonville National Cemetery on disk at my fingertips.

This man may be able to help :[email protected] Here's his bio from find-a-grave:

Until 2011, I was a volunteer historian for the National Park Service for 15 years. The arrival of a new Park Superintendent at Andersonville who who had conflicts in the way I pay tribute and honor those who died here brought on what I believe were acts of retaliation against me between November 2009 and May 2011. As a result of my belief that the lack of ethics and true honor paid to these hallowed grounds are not a priority of the command at Andersonville National Historic Site, I no longer volunteer for the National Park Service however I still volunteer for the public.... those who matter.

I have a complete database on Andersonville prisoners as well as modern graves up to 2006. I do free research for the asking. As in all of my findagrave photos, double click on the photo and I have included the known details from the Andersonville record archives.

I have many resources available to me for researching not only Andersonville prisoners that the Andersonville Historic Site does not have access to and I have photographed each of the more than 14000 Federal Civil War graves at Andersonville National Cemetery on disk at my fingertips.

I've used him before to get info. Great source.

Back