Got To Meet A Personal Legend Today!

Moonshiner

Corporal
I know some are following my thread "I'm In Gettysburg - Feeling Humbled", I've been posting my better photographs there and some of my travels news, but today I thought I needed a new thread for this one.

We went to Harpers Ferry and Antietam today. While watching the presentation from a Park Ranger in Harpers Ferry, a small tour group comes in followed by an older gentleman with a walking stick. Instantly I knew who it was and wanted to jump up and greet him.... But I waited until after the presentation. I approached him and first congratulated him on his nomination for the Presidential Gold Medal, and then for all of his years of giving of himself to the cause of preserving Civil War history. He was extremely grateful and had that twinkle in his eye. He thanked me and asked me where I was from so we talked just a few short minutes.

He is must frailer than I expected and is quite hard of hearing it seems, but that didn't matter, I met ED BEARSS!

ixw46g.jpg

Last edited:
I know some are following my thread "I'm In Gettysburg 0 Feeling Humbled", I've been posting my better photographs there and some of my travels news, but today I thought I needed a new thread for this one.

We went to Harpers Ferry and Antietam today. While watching the presentation from a Park Ranger in Harpers Ferry, a small tour group comes in followed by an older gentleman with a walking stick. Instantly I knew who it was and wanted to jump up and greet him.... But I waited until after the presentation. I approached him and first congratulated him on his nomination for the Presidential Gold Medal, and then for all of his years of giving of himself to the cause of preserving Civil War history. He was extremely grateful and had that twinkle in his eye. He thanked me and asked me where I was from so we talked just a few short minutes.

He is must frailer than I expected and is quite hard of hearing it seems, but that didn't matter, I met ED BEARSS!

ixw46g.jpg

Congratulations ! He makes his yearly visit to our round table in November. Quite a man and also one of my heroes !

Sounds like you're having the trip of a life time, Moonshiner! Really glad to hear it and see the pics. :wavespin:

Thanks! This has been even better than I imagined. Going to be sad to leave in a few days.

Glad you got to meet him and are having such a good time on your trip. Judging by that picture, you took that in the back of the Information Center in lower town. Great pics, by the way!

Rebecca

That was exactly where it was taken. :smile:

I just added 4 new photos to the thread mentioned above and my little scare in Bloody Lane at Antietam!

I know some are following my thread "I'm In Gettysburg - Feeling Humbled", I've been posting my better photographs there and some of my travels news, but today I thought I needed a new thread for this one.

ixw46g.jpg
I'm so envious! My sis and I were supposed to be on his "Second Day of Gettysburg" weekend last October, but a family situation prevented us from going. I hope Ed continues to walk on this planet long enough for me to meet him!

I'm happy for you...I know what it's like to meet someone you've always admired. Gives you a feeling of not only elation, but a kind of "completion", that you finally met. Something you won't forget...nice, Moonshiner.

Back