1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

GORGEOUS RENDITION OF "DIXIE"

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by thea_447, Nov 29, 2005.

1. thea_447

thea_447 Cadet

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. samgrant

samgrant Captain Retired Moderator

Personally, I like the peppier versions.

"I have always thought 'Dixie' one of the best tunes I have ever heard. Our adversaries over the way attempted to appropriate it, but I insisted yesterday that we fairly captured it. I presented the question to the Attorney General, and he gave it as his legal opinion that it is our lawful prize."
    A.L.--From the April 10, 1865 Response to a Serenade

4. texascavcadet

texascavcadet Cadet

This is a really nice slow version of "Dixie" it is very nice but I perfer the faster version. "Dixie" is actually my favorite song.

regards to all
    garrett estey
    11th texas cav

5. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

Thea:
    A good professional-quality choir, a more than competent director, and a superb arrangement.

I'm with Sam Grant in that I prefer snappier versions, but, as a former choir director, this one stirred some really nice memories.

Thank you for that.
    Ole

6. thea_447

thea_447 Cadet

I believe Southerners like it played both ways. The jaunty version is the one we used to play at ballgames and parades. But the slower version is the more nostalgic when we reminisce and sadly think of those young boys who went marching off to war, perhaps to the peppy version but never returned home to sweethearts, wives, and families.

7. hoosier

hoosier 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host

Twenty years ago or so, TBS used to televise an SEC football game of the week on autumn Saturday afternoons.

I remember one game in particular, Alabama at Mississippi.

Mississippi was a considerable underdog, but they gave Alabama quite a ballgame. The score was very close throughout, with many good plays by both sides. And, as is customary at major college football games, every time Mississippi made a good play, their band would salute it by playing part or all of the school's fight song - "Dixie" - at a suitably peppy tempo.

Unfortunately for Ole Miss, they didn't make quite as many good plays as their opponents did, and when the game ended, 'Bama had won by a close score.

Immediately following the conclusion of the game, Mississippi's band stood up and played "Dixie" once more, but this time at a much slower tempo.

And it was one of the most gorgeous things I've ever heard.

When played fast, as I usually hear it played, "Dixie" is a wonderful pepper-upper, but the focus is primarily on the sense of excitement that the song generates. When it is played slow, you have time to appreciate what a beautiful tune it is.

That moment and the moment when the Brigade of Midshipmen stand to sing "The Navy Blue and Gold" are my two all-time favorite post-football-game musical moments.

8. samgrant

A Not so GORGEOUS rendition - Look away!

I'm somewhat confused about how the music fits in with the visuals in this ad:

Any ideas?

---

9. Glorybound

Glorybound Major Retired Moderator

Yeah Sam there was a "whooshing" sound as that message went right over my head. Didn't get it. Have no idea why an ad agency in Sweden would hire those actors to look like "necks", whistle "Dixie" off key, while they're cookin' out, slappin' cheese on their foreheads, with the red fish in the patio chair gurgling along with the music. I guess it might be funny to a Swede.

That girl Ann, who posts here occasionally, is the Webmaster for factasy.com.( a smaller CW site) She lives outside of Stockholm. Maybe someone should forward it to her and ask" "what's the deal with this?". :shrug: Or... "de veer de yorg und mit de veer - der yang mit de bass de rojo" or some such.

Lee

10. Blockaderunner

Blockaderunner Sergeant

11. samgrant

Dissing Duane Eddy?

Wow!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Eddy

George Harrison and Paul McCartney were big fans of Eddy’s and, he recorded with both of them in later years. Eddy was recruited to play on McCartney’s “Rockestra Theme” in 1987, and Harrison played on Eddy’s self-titled comeback album from 1987, which also featured James Burton, Ry Cooder, Steve Cropper (of Booker T. & the M.G.’s), John Fogerty and David Lindley.

-from http://www.rockhall.com/inductee/duane-eddy

---

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)