Ginger Ale

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
1616505809012.png

For the last several days I have been quite sick, some kind of stomach virus. About the only thing I can tolerate is ginger ale.

Thought I would post short history on the beverage.

Thomas Cantrell claimed he was first to have invented ginger ale. He did so in Belfast, Northern Ireland in 1851. It was marketed by the Gratton and Company. It was a golden ginger ale.

Dry pale ginger ale was first created by John McLaughlin of Canada. He introduced it in 1907 as Canada Dry Ginger Ale. It became very popular and became the ginger ale of choice.

The golden type ginger ale is more uncommon. One maker is Vernors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you feel better!
Yes, we drink Ginger Ale as a "bad stomach" cure too!
Mother made us "Cracker Soup" for a bad tummy. Break up a small bowl of saltines, pour almost enough boiling water over them to be absorbed, then a bit of milk, small spoon of sugar and a pat of butter. Mix thoroughly and enjoy while warm. Originally we, even as kids, thought it was gross! But, alas, it made our tummies feel better.

For the last several days I have been quite sick, some kind of stomach virus. About the only thing I can tolerate is ginger ale.

Thomas Cantrell claimed he was first to have invented ginger ale. He did so in Belfast, Northern Ireland in 1851. It was marketed by the Gratton and Company. It was a golden ginger ale.

Dry pale ginger ale was first created by John McLaughlin of Canada. He introduced it in 1907 as Canada Dry Ginger Ale. It became very popular and became the ginger ale of choice.

Canada Dry ginger ale has changed over the years. It used to be called Canada Dry Extra Dry ginger ale and was much better than it is today, much less sweet. I prefer Schweppes nowadays.

When I drink ginger ale it is Vernor's or nothing. Also Vernor's i sgrat with mixed drinks. Goes good with Scotch whiskey.

If there is a Trader Joe's near you try eating sliced baby ginger cubes if you can eat solid food.
Leftyhunter

Back