GG grandmother from Ireland, where do I go now?

Ill be more than happy to get back on this as soon as I get off work tonight. I see my guess on multiple marriages was a hit. That makes sense but complicates things greatly.

Yep. I think Eliza may have been from around Boston. whether she was born there or Ireland is another story. I have always been more interested in chronology rather than details when I first look for a person in the records.

Irish lineage is always tough.

Saw that one. Dates fit, I think. That's wife #2, correct?
Should be #1, mother of Hugh. Wife #2 is BA possibly Barbra mother of Julia.

I think this is the right person. The sources are iffy old references to OneWorldTree but they confirm John was from Guildford county, NC. Death date is wrong but OWT is full of trash, so who knows. It's possible but unlikely there was a divorce.

Yep. I think Eliza may have been from around Boston. whether she was born there or Ireland is another story. I have always been more interested in chronology rather than details when I first look for a person in the records.

Irish lineage is always tough.
Agreed. One side of my Grandmother from my fathers family was Irish immigrant and married a Native American (Cherokee) lady in 3 forks (Yancey Co) in the early 1700's. I got as far as a Chief Little Carpenter in the Tenn. River valley as far as she goes. Im very interested in learning more about her. I've been working on that one for years and still haven't gotten to the end of it.

Should be #1, mother of Hugh. Wife #2 is BA possibly Barbra mother of Julia.

I think this is the right person. The sources are iffy old references to OneWorldTree but they confirm John was from Guildford county, NC. Death date is wrong but OWT is full of trash, so who knows. It's possible but unlikely there was a divorce.

Many families/wives were simply abandoned. Will/might make this harder. Wonder if Robert has any info on John's parents?

Agreed. One side of my Grandmother from my fathers family was Irish immigrant and married a Native American (Cherokee) lady in 3 forks (Yancey Co) in the early 1700's. I've been working on that one for years and still haven't gotten to the end of it.

I have a relative in Canada who, about 1800, married a woman who was simply known as a native, meaning from the area, not any racial, cultural meaning. He is my nightmare relative: came to the states to fight for the Brits in the Carolinas, moved around the states briefly after the Revolution, then went to Canada. Pops up here and there in the records.

I have a relative in Canada who, about 1800, married a woman who was simply known as a native, meaning from the area, not any racial, cultural meaning. He is my nightmare relative: came to the states to fight for the Brits in the Carolinas, moved around the states briefly after the Revolution, then went to Canada. Pops up here and there in the records.
We should make a thread for trading walls. Mine is a gggrandfather who apparently died in 1850 leaving a widow and a posthumous child and no other record of his existence. I don't even know his first name.

Many families/wives were simply abandoned. Will/might make this harder. Wonder if Robert has any info on John's parents?
Check the links I sent him on the first page of this thread. Two of them had his parents, and One of the sources is the Daughters of the Revolution lineage book. They were very precise at record keeping and lineage work. Samuel was his name I believe. Im trying to get done here so I can get back on this.

Okay, I have what I would consider good enough circumstantial evidence for my own tree that this is MR Campbell the correct mother of Hugh. Mary Reid in the private family genealogy of the Reid family, written from notes made by someone who knew the family personally, was the daughter of John Reid of Rockingham county, married John L Campbell of Guilford county and moved to Mississippi. These are the relevant bits, with some stuff about her brothers omitted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Other trees give a death date for Mary in 1872, but no location, and I see no sources anywhere. Until I have proof otherwise I'm regarding that as an error.

Mary Reid's parents:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...ll&GSst=29&GScntry=4&GSsr=1481&GRid=17723569&

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=2204736&GRid=17723668&

Last edited:
We should make a thread for trading walls. Mine is a gggrandfather who apparently died in 1850 leaving a widow and a posthumous child and no other record of his existence. I don't even know his first name.

My gg grandfather likely had 2 families. My mother was born near Lockport and as she was older, she would be stopped on the street by people who recognized her as being part of the other families.

Ante up with names places and dates. Maybe a new pair of eyes will find him.

Okay, I have what I would consider good enough circumstantial evidence for my own tree that this is MR Campbell the correct mother of Hugh. Mary Reid in the private family genealogy of the Reid family, written from notes made by someone who knew the family personally, was the daughter of John Reid of Rockingham county, married John L Campbell of Guilford county and moved to Mississippi. These are the relevant bits, with some stuff about her brothers omitted.

View attachment 65950
View attachment 65952
View attachment 65953

Other trees give a death date for Mary in 1872, but no location, and I see no sources anywhere. Until I have proof otherwise I'm regarding that as an error.

Mary Reid's parents:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...ll&GSst=29&GScntry=4&GSsr=1481&GRid=17723569&

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=2204736&GRid=17723668&

Mr. Campbell might have had a new wife with this one still around.

Mr. Campbell might have had a new wife with this one still around.
True, but unlikely with his putting the correct name on the grave of his son. Most places frowned on bigamy.

I've seen enough proven misleading garbage on ancestry and One World Tree in particular that I don't consider it a source, just a hint.

True, but unlikely with his putting the correct name on the grave of his son. Most places frowned on bigamy.

I've seen enough proven misleading garbage on ancestry and One World Tree in particular that I don't consider it a source, just a hint.

Very true. Or just lazy lookers.

If Hugh the son was born in 1847, can we assume that Mary would have been at least 16 or so when he was born? Or did I miss a birth year for her?

Birth date for Mary Jane Reid/Reed is 26 December 1818, Rockingham county, NC.

Eliza is Barbra E on the 1860. Her name according to findagrave was Eliza Barbara, but in this era it's very common to see people flip the order of their names. She apparently chose to be called Lida.
This is interesting stuff and I appreciate you all running with it. One question: how can Barbra E, age 5 in 1860, be Eliza age 17 in 1870? Where did you get Lida?

Alright. I've finished work and need to go back through everything Ive missed today and see where Allie and rbasin have gotten to. It seems as if this has turned in to quite the tangled, interwoven, tale of total intrigue. If you've been keeping up with everything since I fell out last night, a post of a makeshift web or tree for the 3 wives and children etc. would help a lot in moving further.

This is interesting stuff and I appreciate you all running with it. One question: how can Barbra E, age 5 in 1860, be Eliza age 17 in 1870? Where did you get Lida?
It's more common than otherwise for two censuses to be two or three years off on ages. I've seen it be as much as fifteen or twenty years off for older people. It's actually somewhat rare for early censuses in the South to be consistent and accurate on birth dates. Two years is no big deal.

When there's a discrepancy, I usually go with the earlier record as accurate. Few people are likely to forget when the baby was born, but they might not recall exactly when an older child was born.

The nickname Lida along with her full name being Eliza Barbara is explained on her findagrave, which is linked from her father's grave.

Right. Sometimes, the census taker cannot subtract or add (or spell) real well that day. Or whomever they speak to just doesn't know. My gg grandfather is on 4 census' and has 4 different birth years. About a swing of 7 years. For his, I used the year on his headstone, which was in line with his army record.

The reason for a lack of Choctaw Co. records:

In 1871, Montgomery County was created, taking away a big part of Choctaw County. The county seat was moved from Greensboro to a place located within two miles of the geographical center of the county. A new courthouse was erected at La Grange in 1872. The town rapidly grew, but a similar fate to Greensboro would befall La Grange. On the night of January 12, 1874, arsonists burned down the courthouse, along with all the records of the county. Many believed the arsonists were those in the county who wanted it to be divided in order to create a Republican county out of part of it. In 1874, Sumner County (now known as Webster County) was created, taking all of the territory of Choctaw County north of the Big Black River, which left the county seat a mile and a half from the county line. The county seat was removed from La Grange, and the town was abandoned.

Back