Featured Gettysburg Pics, Haven't Bumped Into

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Am guessing other Gettysburg buffs have. Between LoC and Pinterest, really interesting to keep paging through sites, see what's there.

Camp of 69th PA, must be November, 1863
gb 69 pa.jpg

1860's shot of Baltimore St intersection- look familiar?
gb 1860s baltimore st.jpg

I think this is the toll house, and rats- cannot find the description so won't try!
gb 1870.jpg

1893 reunion with Meade, Jr.,who was ' There' July, 1863 with his father. I think it was he who Sickles ignored when Meade, Sr. sent a message via him to Move It Back. He's in the front, under the man with hat in hand, next to Long Gray Beard, right of center, super mustache.
gb 1893 reunion.jpg

Along with the famous Blue/Gray veterans photo, a photo of the 1913's assembly tent.
gb 1913 assembly tent.jpg

This would be post-battle, Christian Commision, press, setting up organized aid chaos, not November, 1863 camp. Note the trees. Central PA in November, those leaves would be on the ground and no Queen Anne's lace.

gb camp1.jpg
gb camp2.JPG

National Cemetery Gates, when new- amazing.
gb cem1.jpg

gb cem2.JPG

I'm sure other members have seen this CC photo, disremember bumping into it personally. Oh, or the next although have seen a similar photo.

gb chris comm.jpg

gb chris comm2.jpg

This ' clerk' is also brand, new to me. Now this looks like it could easily have been November.
gb clerk2.JPG

gb clerk1.jpg

Have had this for awhile, an LoC of Culp's Hill, wish there was a date.
gb culps hill scene.jpg

There's yet another edition of this I have to dig out- was astonished. Who knew more than one faux-dead at this spot existed? I guess if the shot is set up it was foolish to trust one exposure. But gee whiz.
gb dead posed at lrt 2 berdans shrp shooters.jpg

Also had not caught Tipton's Gatehouse scene- although cannot find a clear image.
gb gatehs tipton.jpg

I know I have modern pics somewhere of the "faux dead" rock in the Slaughter Pen . . . I'll have to post them when I get home.

The rest of the pics--some I've seen before, some not. All of them are great to see, Annie!

That is the circle in the Center Of Town.... Otherwise Called the Diamond in earlier times...
That is also the bane of my sister's driving existence. She can never get the hang of it. I've got it pretty much figured out, now. But the drivers, oh the drivers! Between the tourists who don't know where they are going and the townsfolk who must get inpatient with the wretched tourists, it can be a bit chaotic to say the least.

That is also the bane of my sister's driving existence. She can never get the hang of it. I've got it pretty much figured out, now. But the drivers, oh the drivers! Between the tourists who don't know where they are going and the townsfolk who must get inpatient with the wretched tourists, it can be a bit chaotic to say the least.

I avoid it whenever I can. To get from the battlefield to route 30 (or vice versa) I always turn up Stafford Street and the over to Baltimore on Middle Street--side streets whenever I can!

I can see the logic in traffic circles, but they are confusing. Problem is, in Bardstown, you can't avoid it unless you are familiar with the town, which I'm not.

I avoid it whenever I can. To get from the battlefield to route 30 (or vice versa) I always turn up Stafford Street and the over to Baltimore on Middle Street--side streets whenever I can!
That was the conclusion we have come to as well. When we want to be on Baltimore Street, or pretty much anyplace downtown, we park and walk.
The picture reminded me of something I saw in the square this September, a van advertising History Nerds Tours. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they any good?

In my little corner of the world we have roundabouts everywhere. Hardly any traffic lights. I rather like them, except when you get into one with people who don't understand how they work.

That was the conclusion we have come to as well. When we want to be on Baltimore Street, or pretty much anyplace downtown, we park and walk.
The picture reminded me of something I saw in the square this September, a van advertising History Nerds Tours. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they any good?

I've seen them too. They've been around about a year. I don't know anything about them, however.

When arriving I turn on 4th street and take West. Conf. Av. over to the exit of Culps Hill... When Leaving... Middle street to the American Legion....

JPK, That is the toll house. You can find the pic and the description on this Gettysburg Daily post.
http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/the-bucktails-part-1/

Thanks very much! Love bumping into this stuff, but then finding the explanations means it's kind of yours forever, one, more piece of ' Gettysburg'. I realize Gettysburg is only one battle in the war years- and it's not just the 3 days, it's the whole invasion, and the armies, both sides. Summer of 1863, I guess. There's nothing not fascinating.

Ha! Piece of cake. The Gettysburg one anyway. Gee whiz, never, ever, ever got the hang of the British- you get stuck in those because not only is your head not on the correct side, everyone else knows what they're doing while you're stuck zooming around in the middle. I'd still be there if everyone hadn't gone home to tea.

Back