Gettysburg Photos today at the Rupp House

unicornforge

First Sergeant
I saw the sign for the Rupp House in Gettysburg today. I never noticed it before I read on the Internet about that reenactment group being there today. Apparently it is a small interactive museum with free admission. I can't imagine how many times I have driven by without noticing it. Has anyone else been there?

Rupp House 4 16 2016 a cropped 2.jpg
Rupp House 4 16 2016 b cropped 2.jpg

No way! That's crazy! I'd give a lot to see those photos. It always seems such a short time period when you get to go to Gettysburg it's insane to spend any time inside, anywhere. This kind of thing could change my mind- still could be the swiftest tour ever. Besides the visitor's center, just never occurs to me to not be somewhere on the battlefield- think maybe picking a spot per visit would not kill me!

It's the home of the Gettysburg Foundation (also known as the Friends of Gettysburg). John Rupp's tannery was nearby, which became the demarcation line between the opposing pickets of the Union Eleventh Corps and Hay's Louisiana Tigers.

Wasn't this the home where locals claimed that there were Confederates on the front porch and Federals on the back porch at the same time?

Yes, exactly. John Rupp wrote, "Our men occupied my porch and the Rebels the rear of the house and I the cellar, so you can see that I was on neutral ground. Our men knew I was in the cellar, but the Rebs did not. I could hear the Rebs load their guns and fire."

Rupp seems to be exaggerating a bit. While his house might have been within the Federal lines in the late afternoon of July 1, when the Confederate skirmishers afterwards advanced to occupy his house and office, the Federal skirmishers were in place about 200 feet away to the south, at the Wagon hotel. The Federals were at close range, but not so close as Rupp indicates. The Federals reclaimed control of the vicinity in the early dawn of July 4.

This will definitely be add to our trip this September!
From the website http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/27/rupp-house

The Rupp House History Center 2016 "Living History Demonstrations & Events," offered on most weekends from April through November, are free and open to the public.

“Courtyard Chats” take place in the courtyard at the rear of the Rupp House most Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. from April through Sept. These talks last approximately one hour. For dates and topics of Rupp House events, see the Calendar. http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/calendar/?url=calendar

Looks like Sept 17 will be a good one. SEPTEMBER 17 - US Grant, A. Lincoln (Ken Serfass)

Back