Gettysburg Help 6 pounder Confederate Left?

Chris Carroll

Private
!cid_3D14E9E7-8757-4A18-8AF4-C7A40DE79E66.jpg
!cid_BDF2FCF8-BBC1-4664-B62D-D7CCB538AB85.jpg
!cid_DCD85606-60C9-40F0-BE2E-7BE5B8EBAA90.jpg
!cid_C9943FA2-CD6B-43C8-8954-56272DAFC6A9.jpg

Confederate 6lbr side loader Recovered in the 1960’s, Gettysburg, Eastern Culp’s Hill, where Nichols Brigade crossed East Confederate Ave. There is no known written documentation that a 6 lbr was used on the Confederate left, yet I now know of 2 recovered from Culp’s Hill. I’m sure there are more in Gettysburg collections, yet I don’t have access. Many have thought this case shot to have been dropped there, but now there is evidence of a war log recovered in the 1930’s by the CCC that contains a 6 lbr. It wasn’t dropped into a tree. When physical evidence is dismissed in lieu of written documentation it reminds me of archeologists that uncovered the palisade fence at Fort Fisher in 1962. When determined it was made of pine, one archeologist remarked “it can’t be, General Lamb in his letter said it was made of palmetto”. Physical evidence can’t be discounted, it is a cue to dig deeper. Even if a 6 lbr was not in use, could discontinued ammunition been fired from a 12 lbr? I read somewhere that part of Longstreet’s ammo train when captured contained cut rail to be fired from 12 lbrs. All and any help is greatly appreciated.

The only documented 6 pounder used in the battle of Gettysburg was Branch’s North Carolina Battery commanded by Capt. Latham. Latham was attached to Hood’s Division and went into action 4PM July 2 on the Emmitsburg Rd. They responded to Union Artillery in the Peach Orchard. Their field of fire, Peach Orchard, Rose Farm, Wheatfield, and Devil’s Den. The range of a 6 pounder was 1533 yards. The 6 pounder of Latham’s was disabled July 2, from the duel near the Peach Orchard with the 5th & 9th Massachusetts Battery, and was not in action July 3rd. The 6 & 12-pounder of Latham’s Battery were replaced with 2 captured 10 pound Parrotts from Smith’s NY Battery captured at Devil’s Den.

From M. W. HENRY’s report,
Major, Commanding Artillery Battalion.

July 1.--Left camp (Fayetteville) in the afternoon, and marched 10 miles on the road to Gettysburg, Pa.
July 2.--Left camp, marched to Gettysburg, and took position in the afternoon on the right of our line, and engaged the enemy's artillery with two batteries, Captains [James] Reilly and [A. C.] Latham. During the evening, one 3-inch rifle belonging to Captain Reilly's battery burst. Captured and brought off the field this night three 10-pounder Parrott rifles.
July 3.--Engaged the enemy again in the same position with the whole battalion. During the two days' fighting, lost 4 men killed and 23 wounded. Expended about 1,500 rounds of ammunition.

July 4.--Changed position, and remained on battle-field until 6 p.m.; then took up line of march, and continued it through the night. Hauled off one 6-pounder bronze field piece and one 12-pounder howitzer, for which the captured Parrott guns had been substituted.”

July 5.--Still marching. At 2 p.m. took up camp on the South Mountain. The 6-pounder and 12-pounder howitzers, having merely the gun-carriage attached, were abandoned necessarily for the want of the proper means of transportation.

West side, near where Nichols crossed East Confederate.

Nicholls has never been there, just his brigade (under Jesse Williams,) he was injured badly at Chancellorsville, and was done pretty much after that. If that ball was found near the marker for Nicholls' brigade, I suspect that it was never fired, since Confederates would not fire there. Maybe someone dropped it during the retreat.

If I understand correctly, Latimer Battalion fired on Culp's Hill prior to assault. So why wouldn't it be fired there? Also Confederate Artillery didn't advance that far to drop a case shot? I'm aware Nichols not present, but the marker identifies his name, it was just for location reference. Thanks

How can it be moved to Gettysburg?

E_just_E means for this thread - not the shell! - to be moved to the Gettysburg Forum where more knowledgeable people are likely to find it once it "drops off" the homepage. Contact any on-duty moderator you see on the homepage and ask them if they could please move it there. (I can't do it because I'm only a forum host, not a moderator.)

If I understand correctly, Latimer Battalion fired on Culp's Hill prior to assault. So why wouldn't it be fired there? Also Confederate Artillery didn't advance that far to drop a case shot? I'm aware Nichols not present, but the marker identifies his name, it was just for location reference. Thanks

(btw it already moved to the Gettysburg Forum yesterday.)

Someone might want to correct me, but my impression was that there were no Confederate bombardment of Culp's Hill on Day 2, because they simply did not know what there was there. The attack on the Hill happened at dusk (some places say as early as 6 PM, but timekeeping was not accurate or even important then) and Nicholls' brigade crossed the creek (at the point of the marker) a bit after that. Was a very quiet approach up the Hill (no rebel yells or anything) because, they did not know what to find, or they wanted to surprise the Union forces (I heard both accounts.) There were no Union forces at the point of that marker for the Confederates to try to cannonade at them.

Correct me, I might be wrong... Did not Latimer Battalion with guns on Culp's 3 10-pounder Parrott rifles from Knap's Independent Pennsylvania Battery, and Stephens Knoll 5th ME Battery serving six twelve-pounder Napoleons. It suffered 3 killed, 13 wounded, and 7 missing. It is possible (although I am very skeptical) that either Dement/Carpenter had some 6lb rounds and used them in their Napoleons.......

Correct me, I might be wrong... Did not Latimer Battalion with guns on Culp's 3 10-pounder Parrott rifles from Knap's Independent Pennsylvania Battery, and Stephens Knoll 5th ME Battery serving six twelve-pounder Napoleons. It suffered 3 killed, 13 wounded, and 7 missing. It is possible (although I am very skeptical) that either Dement/Carpenter had some 6lb rounds and used them in their Napoleons.......

Latimer's Battalion was shooting over (Stevens' Knoll) and at the West side of Culp's Hill, (think Slocum Ave and Williams Ave) where they knew there were Federal forces and wanted to pin them there and not move to Culp's Hill, thus allowing the Confederates and easier advance. That was pretty early in the afternoon IIRC. They were overshooting Culp's Hill for all practical purposes. Hard to see how a 6 pounder will get there anyways. The smallest Napoleons they had were 10 pounders and most were 20.

If I recall correctly, there were only one or two 6-pounders at Gettysburg and they were not Union. I am not going to go through my OOB to determine what, and with which, and to whom.

AHA! You know that limerick!

BTW couldn't be moved yesterday, just posted today? MapView attachment 74004

Yeah that makes sense. Here is a different perspective:

19731973716_f765321650_b.jpg

You can see the marker of Nicholls' Brigade. Latimer's guns were on Benner's Hill Road (the one that ends on a loop upper right - there are about 8-12 markers there; cannot remember.) They were shooting at the area defined by the forks of Slocum Ave and Williams Ave. Could a 6 pounder (from a 20 or 10-pound gun) dropped half way? I don't know, but I think that if anything it would be overshooting rather than undershooting the target.

If I recall correctly, there were only one or two 6-pounders at Gettysburg and they were not Union. I am not going to go through my OOB to determine what, and with which, and to whom.

AHA! You know that limerick!

I know of one that was with Hood on the other side of the battlefield then. Now you just have to look for the other one :wink:

Back