GRAPHIC Gettysburg Harvest of Death Photo Location

Now look at the big picture again. If you don't think it looks right, you are correct. It's not. It could be one of two things. Gardner either drew in the middle and background, as some believe, or it's a distortion called lateral magnification. Personally I believe it's the later. When you zoom in on the background, you can still see individual branches. Those trees that you normally wouldn't see there until I brought out the detail in the photo. It is much too detailed and elaborate to be contrived, in my opinion.

Hard to refute your evidence. Well done.
Would like to hear a retort as to why you are incorrect from those who have the accepted theory as gospel.

In regard to the Sept 6, 2015 message with a picture if a CW artillerymen at the foot of Rounds Tops---I sent a copy to Frassanito-who id it as taken by Tyson about 20 years after the Civil war-soory just a reenactor even then....!

You mean this one. Yes got that stereo last year. I asked Tim Smith about it (is in one of his books), I tend to agree with him. It's by Tipton not Tyson. By the stereo number it's probably late 1870s early 1880s. The guy is probably a member of the PA National guard drilling @ Gettysburg.
Photo39stereo.jpg

In regard to the Sept 6, 2015 message with a picture if a CW artillerymen at the foot of Rounds Tops---I sent a copy to Frassanito-who id it as taken by Tyson about 20 years after the Civil war-soory just a reenactor even then....!
Hey how come you get Frazz to answer you? LOL

I wrote him c/o Gettysburg address...{old one}

The second stero picture-was that taken near Devils den looking toward the Round Tops?
Is that Bloody RunCreek in the centerground?

I wrote him c/o Gettysburg address...{old one}

The second stero picture-was that taken near Devils den looking toward the Round Tops?
Is that Bloody RunCreek in the centerground?
It's on Houck's Ridge right near the bend in Ayres ave. Looking toward Wheatfield road not the round tops. He most likely used Devil's Den to attract customers. It's a bit of a hike from there.

It's on Houck's Ridge right near the bend in Ayres ave. Looking toward Wheatfield road not the round tops. He most likely used Devil's Den to attract customers. It's a bit of a hike from there.
Here is as good a spot of any to interject, and insert a sentiment that I hope is felt, in looking at ANY pictures of battlefield dead- RESPECT. Ladies and gentlemen, these are fellow human beings, who lost their lives defending what they believed in, regardless of side. Now, I truly enjoy the study of Before-After photos, and find it intriguing, but I draw the line at most graphic war dead. Suffice to say these genre of photo brought- and still bring- the tragedy of the Civil War to us on a raw, visceral level. I submit the following anecdote:
Ever heard of Andrew Hogue? A few may, but I bet most havent. He was the subject in the Devils Den photo, his body lying with head propped up, and his purported rifle leaned against the rock at his head. I am sure everyone can picture it, one of the most produced Civil War dead photos. Well, his identity is correct, and thats about all.
Private Hogue has been identified in a few other photos, in different locations. Either Alexander or an assistant dragged Andrew to 'pose' for other pictures. This occurred the first week of July 1863, very hot and dry in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. His musket in all liklihood is not really his either, but merely a prop.
Now, I find this treatment distasteful and repugnant, and consider Alexander not much better than a ghoul. The casuality lists alone convinced America of the carnage, they needed nothing else. Im also reminded that during WWII and afterward, combat death photos were expressly forbidden...IMHO rightly so.

Here is as good a spot of any to interject, and insert a sentiment that I hope is felt, in looking at ANY pictures of battlefield dead- RESPECT. Ladies and gentlemen, these are fellow human beings, who lost their lives defending what they believed in, regardless of side. Now, I truly enjoy the study of Before-After photos, and find it intriguing, but I draw the line at most graphic war dead. Suffice to say these genre of photo brought- and still bring- the tragedy of the Civil War to us on a raw, visceral level. I submit the following anecdote:
Ever heard of Andrew Hogue? A few may, but I bet most havent. He was the subject in the Devils Den photo, his body lying with head propped up, and his purported rifle leaned against the rock at his head. I am sure everyone can picture it, one of the most produced Civil War dead photos. Well, his identity is correct, and thats about all.
Private Hogue has been identified in a few other photos, in different locations. Either Alexander or an assistant dragged Andrew to 'pose' for other pictures. This occurred the first week of July 1863, very hot and dry in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. His musket in all liklihood is not really his either, but merely a prop.
Now, I find this treatment distasteful and repugnant, and consider Alexander not much better than a ghoul. The casuality lists alone convinced America of the carnage, they needed nothing else. Im also reminded that during WWII and afterward, combat death photos were expressly forbidden...IMHO rightly so.
Well said thank you for that. I'm a combat veteran and seen the horrors of war first hand.

Sorry I could not complete my thoughts as my wife and I went out for dinner for a much needed break. Anyway being a veteran I have the utmost respect for our fallen ( including some of my friends). I have and will always honor them. I have to disagree with your statement that the casualties reports would do. You have to understand it was a different era. before Gardner's photos (Sharpsburg & Gettysburg) the only things the public was exposed to was glorified paintings of battle. Example, they where picnicking at 1st Manassas. They sure found out that war should not be glorified when it was right before their eyes. One of the main reasons I am trying to find this location is to find out who they were. So they are not just nameless corpses on a battlefield from over 150 years ago. While you may think Gardner's methods were despicable his intent was very clear even back then. He wrote in his Sketch Book. " It shows the blank horror and reality of war, in opposition to its pageantry. Here are the dreadful details! Let them aid in preventing such another calamity falling upon the nation". Also I believe that Frassanito found that Pvt. Hogue was killed somewhere near Culp's Hill and not Devil's Den. Regardless of his name I agree he should be totally honored as another soldier that gave his life in that horrible war.
Rebels3.jpg

Sorry I could not complete my thoughts as my wife and I went out for dinner for a much needed break. Anyway being a veteran I have the utmost respect for our fallen ( including some of my friends). I have and will always honor them. I have to disagree with your statement that the casualties reports would do. You have to understand it was a different era. before Gardner's photos (Sharpsburg & Gettysburg) the only things the public was exposed to was glorified paintings of battle. Example, they where picnicking at 1st Manassas. They sure found out that war should not be glorified when it was right before their eyes. One of the main reasons I am trying to find this location is to find out who they were. So they are not just nameless corpses on a battlefield from over 150 years ago. While you may think Gardner's methods were despicable his intent was very clear even back then. He wrote in his Sketch Book. " It shows the blank horror and reality of war, in opposition to its pageantry. Here are the dreadful details! Let them aid in preventing such another calamity falling upon the nation". Also I believe that Frassanito found that Pvt. Hogue was killed somewhere near Culp's Hill and not Devil's Den. Regardless of his name I agree he should be totally honored as another soldier that gave his life in that horrible war.View attachment 86556
Thank you for your comments. As a veteran myself(11ABC5PZ), I honor the dedication of the fallen, in giving the ultimate sacrifice. Best wishes in your worthy endeavor.

Back