1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Gettysburg Generals on Little Round Top

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Gettysburg Greg, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Corporal

lrt generals.jpg

Simon says, "hats on". I always thought it interesting that these two nearly identical photographs of Gettysburg generals on Little Round Top were taken hats on and hats off. Other than the hats, the only difference I see is General Slocum standing next to General Chamberlain in the left photo has been replaced by General Butterfield in the hats on photograph. Generals Longstreet, Sickles, and Carr are to the right. Just my opinion, but I believe General Chamberlain has once again topped General Longstreet, not in battle, but in selection of hats. What is that thing Longstreet has on his head?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2017
    FZ11, AUG351, theoldman and 14 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant

I love this photo!!! A real who's who of the battle. Longstreet, Slow Come, Chamberlain, Butterfield, Historicus....those are the ones that stand out like a sore thumb.

4. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant

I still can't get my mind around Longstreet's whiskers. LOL They are sooooo un-Longstreet.

5. Wallyfish

Wallyfish Corporal Trivia Game Winner

Simply wonderful.

On July 1, Longstreet "almost broke down" during a speech before thousands of First Corps veterans of the Army of the Potomac in Herbst's Woods, where Union General John Reynolds was killed on the first day of the battle. As he walked to the massive speakers' stand, he was greeted by a Rebel yell, the Gettysburg Cornet Band played "Dixie" and veterans eagerly sought him out to shake his hand or to exchange pleasantries. Among them was a one-legged Union vet, who told Longstreet: "General, I fought against you at Round Top. I lost a wing there, but I am proud to meet you here."

After Longstreet took his place on the stand, Chamberlain shouted, "Comrades, you see on this platform one of the hardest hitters whoever fought against us. I propose we give three times three for General Longstreet, one of the best Union men now in the country." The crowd erupted, surging toward the stand and "showering God bless you's on him." After Longstreet had taken his place on the platform, it collapsed, falling several feet, but no one was seriously hurt.

From the blog below including more photos.

The blog below is a great write up for this 1888 reunion. It really is a great read.

http://john-banks.blogspot.com/2017/01/no-man-more-honored-longstreets-1888.html

6. Warren

Warren Private

These are great photos!!

JohnW. and Gettysburg Greg like this.
  7. Bee

Bee 2nd Lieutenant

It is amazing to look at these pictures and know instantly who the the front row is without any prompting. I guess they have taken up residence in my psyche!!

8. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Corporal

Would you have noticed that Slocum was replaced by Butterfield, @Bee? I didn't the first time I compared the two photos.

JohnW. likes this.
  9. Bee

Bee 2nd Lieutenant

You still da man, Greg! I was focusing all of my attention on the 'hats off' picture for details, so I did not catch the presto change-o of Slocum and Butterfield (shoulda kept Slocum:wink:

Nathanb1 and JohnW. like this.
  10. historicus

historicus Private

hahaha I was not present at the Battle of Gettysburg.

By the way, you left out John Bachelder.

JohnW. likes this.
  11. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant

I didn't see him..where was he at in the photo???

12. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant

I agree...ole Henry W. didn't age very well did he??? He looks like he just came off a 3 day bender...rode hard and put away wet.

13. historicus

historicus Private

Actually, Bachelder is not in the photo.

JohnW. likes this.
  14. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Corporal

I have seen this referred to as a pork pie hat. Pork pie hats have been around since the mid-19th century and I have read they got their name because they bear a slight resemblance to a pork pie dish. I'm not sure about this. Some have a small button on a string located on the back. The string can be wound around the hat in windy weather and the button attached to a jacket's lapel. This keeps the hat from blowing away on a windy day. I can see my favorite general liking that idea. Sadly, I don't think this partcular style suits him.

JohnW., Wallyfish, Nathanb1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Will Carry

Will Carry Corporal

Did he get a free bowl of soup with that hat? Truly a great photograph, thanks for posting it!

16. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Corporal

I have posted this colorized picture (with the hats on) in another CWT thread. I downloaded it from The Longstreet Society. Thought I would share it here too.

Longstreet at Reunion.jpg

17. MC44

MC44 Private

What I would give to sit in at that dinner with Sickles and Longstreet.

JohnW. and Eleanor Rose like this.
  18. Kip124thNY

Kip124thNY Private

Great pictures. General Longstreet's whiskers are a sight to behold.

JohnW., Eleanor Rose and Nathanb1 like this.
  19. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Corporal

Me too!!!

JohnW. likes this.
  20. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant

Thank you for posting this one @Eleanor Rose. It is pretty neat how far colorizing old photos has come since its beginnings. Back in the day it made the photos look so unnatural. Today they look like they were actually color photos to begin with.

Eleanor Rose likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)