1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Gettysburg Battlefield to be site of KKK Rally

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by JPK Huson 1863, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Mark F. Jenkins

Mark F. Jenkins Major Forum Host

Hey, I'd even join that rally.

Diplogeek and Nathanb1 like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. cash

cash Colonel

They followed the prescribed procedure and obtained a permit. They have the right to access the battlefield property because it is public property. The GNMP at this point would have no grounds for denying them the access.

4. Mark F. Jenkins

Unfortunate but perhaps inevitable result of the freedoms of speech and the right to assemble peaceably.

bama46, K Hale and Nathanb1 like this.
  5. cash

cash Colonel

6. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Let me suggest that no one gets anywhere near the place on that date and gives them the satisfaction of publicity.

7. bdietzler73

bdietzler73 Sergeant

That's too bad. I wish there was a way to deny them but it's public land. What can you do?

8. Mark F. Jenkins

It's always a conundrum. It's easy to defend free speech when you agree with what's being said. It's a lot harder when you don't agree, and toughest of all is when you know that the people speaking would not likely give you the same benefit of the doubt.

leftyhunter, K Hale and Getty150 like this.
  9. Bob Owen

Bob Owen Captain Trivia Game Winner

If anyone shows up at the rally, 98% of them will be law enforcement officers, undercover cops and FBI agents. The rest will be just curious on lookers.

bama46 and Bonny Blue Flag like this.
  10. FrenchZouave

FrenchZouave Corporal

My utmost problem with those people is that they keep using the Confederate Battle flag at their "Rallies". It further desecrates the brave Southerners that fought for what they believed in States rights. No political mumbo-jumbo here. The first organized KKK was a group of Southern Ex-officers that were against reconstruction and the Copperhead ideals. Most notable the first elected officer was Nathan Bedford Forrest. No hatred against the former people that were held in bondage. The use of Confederate trappings alienates the unknowing of the Civil War. Signed,
    Angry in Virginia

11. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

I'd applaud flaggers who show up and exercise their right to shout down any hooded cretin carrying the CBF. (Don't tell the FBI, but I wouldn't mind if a few got messed up a little.)

Most of the flak the CBF gets is the result of the racists who carry the flag in the name of racism. Were it not for them, the CBF would not be regarded as it is.

bama46 likes this.
  12. John Hartwell

John Hartwell Sergeant Major

You are right, of course. What I suggested would be an ill-advised (and possibly dangerous) undertaking. Still, it would be reassuring to see some sort of organized campaign (letter-writing, press-releases, blogs, whatever) to try to remove the racist baggage attached, rightly or wrongly, to the CBF. And to deny the symbol's credible use by its overtly racist exploiters.

jno

Delhi Rangers likes this.
  13. Karen_J

Karen_J Private

By the way, does it annoy anyone else besides me when the Confederate Navy Jack is used and identified as the CBF? This idea that all flags have to be rectangular is an item of history revision.

bama46 likes this.
  14. CMWinkler

CMWinkler Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

All we can really do is denounce their hate filled beliefs and ignore their presence. It is sad that they defile this hallowed ground.

bama46, Dbersh and FrenchZouave like this.
  15. John Hartwell

John Hartwell Sergeant Major

It's not revisionism so much as just plain ignorance. To most people, including most southerners, I suspect, they're all "the Confederate Flag" -- CBF, 1st/2nd National, jack, whatever and however different they look. If its red and blue, with a starry saltire on it somewhere, that's all that matters.

jno

16. FZ11

FZ11 First Sergeant

I,already,did that. About 40 years ago apprx. 25 of them marched thru Downtown Dallas on a Saturday that I happened to be working. I,and every other person on the sidewalks, started sceaming at them. I,still,don't know if they made to the West end of Downtown or not. Lol.

John Hartwell likes this.
  17. matthew mckeon

matthew mckeon Brigadier General Moderator

That's the trouble with these nimrods. Thirty or forty tops, but they get thousands of decent people yelling at them, and that's what gets the publicity.

bama46 likes this.
  18. Bob Owen

The current Klan has been for all practicable purposes defanged and declawed. There are more undercover agents in the Klan than real members. They are side tracked at every opportunity and they know it. The only ones in real danger are those that show up in protest and invoke by starting violence against them. They distance themselves for the most part from the Neo-Nazis movement and skinheads. They are actually a fading quickly organization and only continue with the publicity they get from the media. Today's Klan is basically harmless. All they do is wave their flags and tongues.

bama46 and C.S.M 1861 like this.
  19. ole

But the flag they wave is the CBF. Take it back. It ought to have been done years ago.

John Hartwell likes this.
  20. Bob Owen

I agree, but they fly several flags including the CBF. I believe that we should if we could take it away from them.

bama46 likes this.
  21. ole

Yeah, Bob. Free speech is guaranteed, even that which is objectionable. But I still feel that more than a few white supremicists really ought to pay the price for taking a revered symbol and making it repulsive.

Extra-legal, yes. Criminal behavior, yes. But I'll be checking tomatoes at my favorite grocery store. And I'll utter tepid tsks when the news comes that a few of them paid the price for soiling someone's shrine.

Exercising one's right to free speech doesn't guarantee that one doesn't get the snot beat out of him. Other's have the same right and, as humans, this happens all too often.

bama46, Lazy Bayou and Bob Owen like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)