George Armstrong Custer photos - 12 of 12

Mike Serpa

Major
Custer K-144.jpg

K-144 http://thelbha.proboards.com/thread/338/historic-proportions

Custer K-145.jpg

K-145 http://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/in...abraham-lincoln-unpublished-photograph-72211/

Custer K-147.jpg

K-147 http://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/176845/

K-149.jpg

K-149 Heritage Auctions

K-150.jpg

K-150 Unknown source

Custer K-151.jpg

K-151 National Park Service

Custer K-152.jpg

K-152 Heritage Auctions

K-154.jpg

K-154 Unknown source

K-155.jpg

K-155 Unknown source

K-156.jpg

K-156 Heritage Auctions

More photos not in "Custer in Photographs" -
GAC.jpg

This looks like K-147 but without boutonnière. Is this a Barry photo or an altered Mora photo? See link for more about this photo.

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 7.47.07 AM.jpg

Above and below photos from "Custer, Cody, and Grand Duke Alexis: Historical Archaeology of the Royal Buffalo Hunt" by Douglas D. Scott
Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 7.49.32 AM.jpg

I tried to post as many of the 158 photos of Custer in "Custer in Photographs" that I could find. New photos in 1st, 7th, 9th threads of this series as well as at least two of them in this thread would make 163 photos of Custer. This new total is more than the 160 photos of Frederick Douglass.

K151 looks like he's practicing for standing on the street corner, "Hey honey, want to have a good time? Come on up to my room and you can......take my picture!" :wink:
He wants to be drawn...like one of Jack's French girls. :D (Sorry. I just saw a Titanic clip online yesterday.)

Truthfully, he'd be a hit with some of my friends. They are always looking to practice their portrait photography, so when they run into someone who doesn't mind having their photo taken, they take advantage!

I'd be buggin' him to get on his horse. I love horse and rider shots!

I tried to post as many of the 158 photos of Custer in "Custer in Photographs" that I could find. New photos in 1st, 7th, 9th threads of this series as well as at least two of them in this thread would make 163 photos of Custer. This new total is more than the 160 photos of Frederick Douglass.
Thanks for posting.
Those studio shots appear to be the ones he had taken during his trip to New York in late 1875.

More photos not in "Custer in Photographs" -
View attachment 113709
This looks like K-147 but without boutonnière. Is this a Barry photo or an altered Mora photo? See link for more about this photo.

View attachment 113710
Above and below photos from "Custer, Cody, and Grand Duke Alexis: Historical Archaeology of the Royal Buffalo Hunt" by Douglas D. Scott
View attachment 113711

I found clearer versions of these two as well:

custer1.jpg

By Edric L. Eaton, 1871(?). Source.

custer2.jpg

By Edric L. Eaton, 1871(?). Source.

Congrats on that! I got the Douglass book recently and have had the Custer book for a few years now. Still have to read both.

I noticed something important. Custer spent a lot of time at the barber, The Dressmaker and finally at the photographer's.

He liked his image, he owed an important ego to his person.

He and other generals were doing the same thing.

What I have come to say is that officers, were bourgeois or even middle-class families. That some have received tributes from senior officer as well as from politics. Not always by heroic facts.

Back