Ami's SOA Generals at old age

William P. Carlin
wpc.jpg

The Society of the Army of the Cumberland, Thirty-first Reunion
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112107096601;view=1up;seq=14;size=150

It's interesting going back through this old thread again... what strikes me is that some of these guys never really needed the gold trim, shiny medals and fancy uniform equipage to look the part of a real honest to God general because they wore their rank from the inside, both when young and old. Others appear to me to have needed all the help they could get from uniform fuss & finery, but even that only went so far.

Admittedly you can't judge a book by it's cover, and I realize I'm looking through 21st century tainted lenses, but does anyone else see in these ranks the dignified amongst the ordinary? Who least needed the uniform? Who most...?

Post 14 of Forrest. Fearsome aspect. Can someone assure me his ghost can't get to Tucson?

:rofl: Fear not! Ol' Bedford much prefers Tennessee! He's one of those generals who gets a lot of political attention - there are many photos of him where he looks much more benign but they're really hard to find on the internet these days.

Back