General Beauregard's Uniform Color

frontierchris

Private
Civilwarincolor and Zuzah, I thought maybe you'd like to see what shade of grey Gen. Pierre G. T. Beauregard's uniform really was.

General Pierre G. T. Beauregard's Uniform.jpg

What do you think?

Actually I just wanted to show them the color because the colorized photograph of Beauregard doesn't match this one.

Civilwarincolor and Zuzah, I thought maybe you'd like to see what shade of grey Gen. Pierre G. T. Beauregard's uniform really was.

View attachment 87037

What do you think?
Well, I am dumb as a rock, but I think that after 150 years things start to fade. I also think you are a a little uppity iffin' you think you are going to show two world renowned colorists what shade of grey the uniform REALLY was.

View attachment 87037

What do you think?

Thanks for the image, I had not seen this before. The uniform color for the image I did came from another Confederate officer uniform image and was not specific to Beauregard. I may update my image in the future, but there is no guarantee that this was the uniform that is in the image. Thanks.

Well, I am dumb as a rock, but I think that after 150 years things start to fade. I also think you are a a little uppity iffin' you think you are going to show two world renowned colorists what shade of grey the uniform REALLY was.

Thanks for your comments. You are right that the color will fade, but more importantly is this the same uniform in the image? Since it is a known uniform (had not been familiar with it before) I may update my image to match, but there is no guarantee even that would be the correct color.

If I remember right, this is Beauregard's uniform in the Confederate Museum in New Orleans; since his statue there - along with Lee's and Jeff Davis' - has been voted on by the PC crowd to be removed, I wonder what will become of the museum itself? Maybe this is the last look we will have of this!

If I remember right, this is Beauregard's uniform in the Confederate Museum in New Orleans; since his statue there - along with Lee's and Jeff Davis' - has been voted on by the PC crowd to be removed, I wonder what will become of the museum itself? Maybe this is the last look we will have of this!

I hope that the good citizens of New Orleans will recognize the difference between a few statues publicly visible and period artifacts held in a museum that requires a fee to view. Perhaps they can find a home for the statues at the museum as well.

I hope that the good citizens of New Orleans will recognize the difference between a few statues publicly visible and period artifacts held in a museum that requires a fee to view. Perhaps they can find a home for the statues at the museum as well.

Confederate Memorial Hall is pretty well filled full as it is. I'd wager these monuments will end up in city storage.

Confederate Memorial Hall is pretty well filled full as it is. I'd wager these monuments will end up in city storage.

Thanks for the information. I have not had the opportunity to visit the museum so have no knowledge personally. I was thinking that maybe they could be on display within the property of the museum. I suspect that storage or scrap will be the final result, but I also feel that there will be a lawsuit from descendants or Confederate groups to keep it in place.

Thanks for the information. I have not had the opportunity to visit the museum so have no knowledge personally. I was thinking that maybe they could be on display within the property of the museum. I suspect that storage or scrap will be the final result, but I also feel that there will be a lawsuit from descendants or Confederate groups to keep it in place.
According to what I read today it is being taken to the Federal court, so there is a freeze on it. The plan is to put them in storage until they figure out if some museum will take them.

The are a number of uniforms on display at the museum. In the basement they have a (bank-like) vault that is full of uniforms. It's been 30+ years since I was in that vault and at that time they had a ton of stuff not on display. The museum is too small to display it all

The are a number of uniforms on display at the museum. In the basement they have a (bank-like) vault that is full of uniforms. It's been 30+ years since I was in that vault and at that time they had a ton of stuff not on display. The museum is too small to display it all

Museums almost always have more than they can display. I think it is great that you got to go behind the scenes and see more of what they don't have out. I have had the chance to do that at a few museums and am always impressed by what they have in reserve.

This so sad that part of American history has to be neatly parceled away from public view. Put in storage and left to rot. What a waste.

This so sad that part of American history has to be neatly parceled away from public view. Put in storage and left to rot. What a waste.

I would certainly rather it be stored properly and respectfully than destroyed and discarded. That way there is a chance they will be discovered by a new generation and can be appreciated again. Hopefully we will remember that these as soldiers and symbols on one side of a cause and nothing else.

I thought the Museum of Confederacy had Beauregard's uniform on display when I was there. I may have a photo of it...going to be a while though to find it.. lol. If I do, I will post it.

Back