Gen. Daniel E. Sickles and Gen. Samuel P. Heintzelman

civilwarincolor

2nd Lieutenant
524677_w.jpg

The National Archives does not have a date or location for this photograph, but it is clearly after July of 1863, since that is when Sickles lost his leg. While Sickles was rather boastful of his actions he came very close to being Court Martialed for disobeying orders at Gettysburg and was only spared due to the loss of his leg that effectively sidelined him for the war. He was also powerfully connected politically. Interestingly enough Sickles was able to turn this loss into a victory of sorts, he was evacuated to Washington and was able to be the first to tell his side of the battle, which painted him as a hero in the press. Years later he was awarded the Medal of Honor for the action that lost his leg. What would have caused any other soldier their commission became the highest military honor for him.

As for Heintzelman he had graduated from West Point in 1826 and was promoted to Colonel at the start of the war. After 2nd Bull Run (2nd Manassas) was promoted to Brigadier General and to Major General later that year. Assigned to the defenses of Washington he commanded the Northern Department for the rest of the war. This photograph would therefore have been taken between July 1863 and early 1865, most likely at or near Washington D.C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding work again! The color of Heintzelman's hair, the skin tone, the shine of the fabric and the polished boots - wonderful! The only thing I have to ask about is Heintzelman's hat. It looks as if it is sort of varnished? Maybe in an attempt to make it waterproof? Does someone know more about that?

Yeah his hat was kind of odd. Even in the B&W version it looks like that.

Thank you for your comments on my work, much appreciated.

Since Sickles is still rather lean, I would guess this picture was taken shortly after Gettysburg.:smile coffee:
Excellent work, CW!!

I have read things about him recuperating in the Washington area (I mentioned a little of it in my original post) he had a number of visitors, including Lincoln. My guess is that this image was probably taken in the fall of 1863, but that is just a guess.

I have read things about him recuperating in the Washington area (I mentioned a little of it in my original post) he had a number of visitors, including Lincoln. My guess is that this image was probably taken in the fall of 1863, but that is just a guess.
I agree but early fall or late summer. The tree leaves are still green. Excellent work.

I agree but early fall or late summer. The tree leaves are still green. Excellent work.

Of course they are still green, I colored them that way! :wink: I typically use green for the leaves unless I see evidence of them on the ground that gives me a good indication of fall and then I will use other colors.

So you see, we take your coloring for reality! This might be the greatest compliment, there is no second thought if it is all correctly colored... no, the world was as you show it to us. Probably the best thing that can be said to an artist!

So you see, we take your coloring for reality! This might be the greatest compliment, there is no second thought if it is all correctly colored... no, the world was as you show it to us. Probably the best thing that can be said to an artist!

Thanks so much. I do try to look for things like that (leaves on the ground) to give me an indication of the time of year. I also try to look at how they are dressed. If you see people in their great coats, probably winter, if you check when the leaves turn for a particular area you can tell a lot. Little harder to tell with this one, but since we know when he lost his leg you can narrow it down. According to this page fall foliage in Washington DC is at it's peak in mid October.

I figure that it is not that late with hospital time earliest mid August - late September. If you want me to be more precise I think it was on a Thursday about 3 PM. :wink:

The Medal of Honour was a great idea but many were awarded in this conflict for very dubious reasons. Somewhat cheapens the award compared to the VC. Standards have definitely been tightened the the nations highest combat decoration.

Yeah, I always think of the MOH in two phases, pre 1900 and post 1900. There was a change in the standards just prior to WWI that made it what it is today. It is too bad that there are people like Sickles that got the MOH for political reasons. There are many from the Civil War that did things that been worthy of it by today's standards, but they end up getting lumped in with those that got it just because of whom they knew.

Of course they are still green, I colored them that way! :wink: I typically use green for the leaves unless I see evidence of them on the ground that gives me a good indication of fall and then I will use other colors.
:frantic:Good job. . Well, they are not wearing coats, so I'll still say late summer, early fall. But that is a simple guess. There are folks here that can look at a rock on the ground and tell you what each man had for breakfast. I'll leave it to them for a final answer. :smile coffee:

Back