GAR Grave Site Markers

rbortega

Corporal
I noticed several headstone photos of Civil War relatives with Grand Army of the Republic markers next to their graves. Were placing these markers near headstones something that the GAR did just for members of the organization or for Union Civil War veterans in general?

This was done for ALL Union Vets regardless if the were GAR members.

I noticed several headstone photos of Civil War relatives with Grand Army of the Republic markers next to their graves. Were placing these markers near headstones something that the GAR did just for members of the organization or for Union Civil War veterans in general?

Any honorably discharged Union veteran can be marked with a GAR marker. I belong to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. The SUVCW is the legal descendant organization of the GAR. It began when the GAR, as the members aged, saw the need for a successor organization. We mark graves anytime we see them unmarked. It's a responsibility that has been handed down from the GAR. Check out our website: www.suvcw.org Take care.

At the present time it is very common to mark any Union veteran's final resting place with a G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) flag holder. Years ago that was not entirely the case. Each Camp did things a bit different of course. At the time when it was the old soldiers burying their comrades they would place a flag holder only if they were a member of the Camp. Not all Union veteran's belonged to the GAR so not all of them would warrant nor want one. Many Camps had their own GAR Camp flag holders made for their members too. Since all the boys in blue are now gone it has become perfectly accepted by the SUVCW to honor any Union veteran with flag holders when they purchase them or are able to get them from the VA. Sadly most of the new GAR flag holders are not very durable and do not hold up for very long. The older ones that are 100 years old or more are often the fodder of aggressive lawn care workers or looted by derelicts trying to sell them for there scrap value.

At the present time it is very common to mark any Union veteran's final resting place with a G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) flag holder. Years ago that was not entirely the case. Each Camp did things a bit different of course. At the time when it was the old soldiers burying their comrades they would place a flag holder only if they were a member of the Camp. Not all Union veteran's belonged to the GAR so not all of them would warrant nor want one. Many Camps had their own GAR Camp flag holders made for their members too. Since all the boys in blue are now gone it has become perfectly accepted by the SUVCW to honor any Union veteran with flag holders when they purchase them or are able to get them from the VA. Sadly most of the new GAR flag holders are not very durable and do not hold up for very long. The older ones that are 100 years old or more are often the fodder of aggressive lawn care workers or looted by derelicts trying to sell them for there scrap value.

Correct. The new markers are made of plastic. I'm sure they will be gone eventually. The older metal ones are slowly going AWOL. We'll keep marking them as needed.

Anyone ever see a marker like this? It is very similar to GAR markers but not quite the same. I'd like to know its origin.
veteran marker.jpg

New GAR markers made of aluminum are also available. The bronze markers are collectors items and are very likely to be stolen.

Any honorably discharged Union veteran can be marked with a GAR marker. I belong to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. The SUVCW is the legal descendant organization of the GAR. It began when the GAR, as the members aged, saw the need for a successor organization. We mark graves anytime we see them unmarked. It's a responsibility that has been handed down from the GAR. Check out our website: www.suvcw.org Take care.

I’d like to help with this, even though I have no genealogical proof that my great great grandfather fought. We’ve got stories handed down but that’s it. I still would like to help restore local graves though

Is there a reference picture somewhere to figure out when a particular emblem was likely placed on a grave? (Years)

Anyone ever see a marker like this? It is very similar to GAR markers but not quite the same. I'd like to know its origin.
View attachment 107875
It's an unusual form of GAR marker. In the star points are symbols for army and navy, and the initials "F.C.L." for the GAR motto: "Fraternity, Charity, Loyalty." GAR markers were not all the same. Several firms manufactured different designs, and local Posts could choose which to buy.

Back