1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Ft, Henry swollowed!

Discussion in 'The South & Western Theaters' started by 5fish, Mar 13, 2008.

1. larry_cockerham

larry_cockerham Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011

As I recall, and as has been posted previously, Forrest didn't exit until about the third day. Not exactly a man jumping away from the fracas. He had produced a breech in the Federal lines that could have been exploited by proper action by Floyd and others. Forrest had no control of inadequate Confederate management, a condition that was to continue.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

I believe here, 5Fish, that you've introduced an inventive expectation. You noted that Floyd fled on some sort of commandeered power boat barely large enough for himself and a few men. Pillow had to be content with a rowboat. And you've assumed that the opposite bank was amenable to landing; that a holding action and a shuttle service could have been arranged. Is that meager collection enough to shuttle the whole garrison in a week?

Once Grant slammed the gate, Donelson was finished. The garrison could have been starved out. It was finished. Surrender was inevitable. It could have tried to fight its way out, but then there would simply be fewer men available for surrendering.

Forrest took his men out, choosing to live to fight another day. And they didn't simply jump in the river and swim across. They rode upriver through an understandably union-free swamp. Where they crossed, if they crossed, I don't know.

Rats desert. They don't take a formidable fighting force with them. It's called preserving your fighting force.

ole

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)