Frog Legs and other food that swims

I fattened my pigs on acorns this year, it's supposed to make the rendered lard more healthy We rendered a few gallons off of one pig and I have to say, it makes the best frying oil, biscuits and pie crusts I've ever tried.

Fat boy at the bottom of photo produced the most lard.

Expired Image Removed
Ok, now I'm salivating! Anyone else remember "hog killing time" when families would get together and help dress out each others meat, followed by a massive meal?
I can close my eyes and still taste that fresh tenderloin!
Great memories!

I fattened my pigs on acorns this year, it's supposed to make the rendered lard more healthy We rendered a few gallons off of one pig and I have to say, it makes the best frying oil, biscuits and pie crusts I've ever tried.

Fat boy at the bottom of photo produced the most lard.

Expired Image Removed
Lard rendered like you do it is by far the best. That stuff you buy in the stores now days can't even come close.

"
Ok, now I'm salivating! Anyone else remember "hog killing time" when families would get together and help dress out each others meat, followed by a massive meal?
Great memories!
Yes, I remember "Hog killin' time." We set aside a whole day and had all the field hands that lived on our place come and get their share of lard and cracklins. Friends from town would also come out to watch and get some fresh cracklins. That night we always had "cracklin corn bread" with supper. Old times are not forgotten down here.

"
Yes, I remember "Hog killin' time." We set aside a whole day and had all the field hands that lived on our place come and get their share of lard and cracklins. Friends from town would also come out to watch and get some fresh cracklins. That night we always had "cracklin corn bread" with supper. Old times are not forgotten down here.

One of my favorites were those fresh cracklings rendered down in large black cast iron pots simmering away out in the yard on a frosty November day. :biggrin:

Are their names bacon and shoulder roast?

We started off calling them bacon and fatback but the grandaughters called them Mr. and Mrs. Piggy. It took a few weeks after the slaughter of Mr. Piggy before they could be coaxed to eat any of him. When they tried the bacon, they were hooked. I believe if I could get a steady supply of pork bellies, I could start a bacon business. Store bought bacon doesn't compare. We slaughtered and butchered them in the traditional way. We shot them between and just above the eyes with a 22 to stun them, then stuck them in the throat to bleed them out. It was a very humane slaughter, IMO. We scalded them to loosen the hair before scraping them. Then we hung them from a tripod to gut and split the carcass.

The specks are black pepper.

Expired Image Removed

Mrs. Piggy, split and hanging in the smokehouse to chill overnight before butchering the next day.
Expired Image Removed

We slaughtered and butchered them in the traditional way. We shot them between and just above the eyes with a 22 to stun them, then stuck them in the throat to bleed them out. It was a very humane slaughter, IMO. We scalded them to loosen the hair before scraping them. Then we hung them from a tripod to gut and split the carcass.

Expired Image Removed

Mrs. Piggy, split and hanging in the smokehouse to chill overnight before butchering the next day.
Expired Image Removed

That's EXACTLY the way to do it. Quick and humane and the bacon is the best ever.

That is really the best bacon there is! We put pepper on, too. We also get deer and make jerky - it's nothing like the store-bought stuff!

The bacon is very filling. I rarely eat more than two thick slices. The salty, rich pork flavor is powerful. Experimenting a little, I boned out and split the upper shoulder roast into two 4-5 lb. slabs and cured them. They supposedly produce a lean type of bacon. I fried a test piece before I cold smoked them and it was great, it tasted like a mix of country ham and bacon. I just finished smoking them and then they need another week of aging before they get right though.

Don't even get me started on the jowl bacon....it's sinful.

The bacon is very filling. I rarely eat more than two thick slices. The salty, rich pork flavor is powerful. Experimenting a little, I boned out and split the upper shoulder roast into two 4-5 lb. slabs and cured them. They supposedly produce a lean type of bacon. I fried a test piece before I cold smoked them and it was great, it tasted like a mix of country ham and bacon. I just finished smoking them and then they need another week of aging before they get right though.

Don't even get me started on the jowl bacon....it's sinful.

:hungry: Ooooh... Now you add a couple fresh laid eggs and some hot biscuits and you are really talking! :inlove:

Great memories!

Speaking of tenderloins! I butterflied them lengthwise and pounded them flat. Then I mixed diced apples and onions in with a cornbread stuffing mix moistened with apple juice. I spread it on top of one of the flattened tenderloins then put the other tenderloin on top of it, then tie it with butcher's twine and make sort of a roll out of it. Put that in a covered roasting pan with a little apple juice at 350 till it hits 155 internal temp. Remove from the oven, uncover and spread mustard and brown sugar on it generously. Turn the oven on broil and watch it closely so the glaze doesn't scorch.

Oh... and to stay on topic, pigs can swim.

Last edited by a moderator:
"

I envy you. I grew up around farms rather than on one. I only have three acres, so I only play like I'm farming. I do like the idea of being capable of being self-sufficient. I grew about an acre of a local heirloom field corn(pre Civil War) that I fed to the pigs and made cornmeal and grits from. My wife made cracklin cornbread... I don't need to tell you because you already know how good it was. The first I've had in at least twenty years.

Speaking of tenderloins! I butterflied them lengthwise and pounded them flat. Then I mixed diced apples and onions in with a cornbread stuffing mix moistened with apple juice. I spread it on top of one of the flattened tenderloins then put the other tenderloin on top of it, then tie it with butcher's twine and make sort of a roll out of it. Put that in a covered roasting pan with a little apple juice at 350 till it hits 155 internal temp. Remove from the oven, uncover and spread mustard and brown sugar on it generously. Turn the oven on broil and watch it closely so the glaze doesn't scorch.

Oh... and to stay on topic, pigs can swim.

Swim-3901.jpg

Oh, boy! That sounds very good. Don't worry about being on topic - this is the food forum! :smug:

By the way, after some of the things I've seen pigs do I'm convinced they can too fly...

We started off calling them bacon and fatback but the grandaughters called them Mr. and Mrs. Piggy. It took a few weeks after the slaughter of Mr. Piggy before they could be coaxed to eat any of him. When they tried the bacon, they were hooked. I believe if I could get a steady supply of pork bellies, I could start a bacon business. Store bought bacon doesn't compare. We slaughtered and butchered them in the traditional way. We shot them between and just above the eyes with a 22 to stun them, then stuck them in the throat to bleed them out. It was a very humane slaughter, IMO. We scalded them to loosen the hair before scraping them. Then we hung them from a tripod to gut and split the carcass.

Expired Image Removed

Expired Image Removed
Reminds me of the old days on the farm. My first job was cranking the sausage grinder and helping to tote hams down to the smoke house for curing.

Due to my job, and for the first time in 13 years, I had to cancel out on my Florida bass fishing trip (Okeechobee). Gonna miss the sunshine and that fried catfish. Thought I might order some up to Minnesota, but they want an arm and a leg for that stuff! Oh well, there's always next year.

If some of these Mississippi rednecks see that video they'll be down to the nearest creek trying to catch catfish like that. They try several different methods to catch a lot of fish quickly down here. The most popular method is a half stick of dynamite dropped into one of the deeper holes on the Yazoo river. :whistling:

Fishing with a hand grenade.

1. Pull the pin.
2. Throw it far from the boat.
3. Net the stunned and dead fish.

These guys forgot step 2.

Fishing with grenade.gif

Back