Free: The Gettysburg Campaign: June–July 1863 (2013) by Carol Reardon and Tom Vossler

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
The Paperless Archive makes this recent 68 page monograph available free:

The Gettysburg Campaign: June–July 1863 (2013)

VIEW/DOWNLOAD

The United States Army's Center of Military History in June 2013 published a new concise monograph on the Gettysburg Campaign.

Authors Carol Reardon and Tom Vossler examine the operations that culminated in the pivotal and devastating three-day Battle of Gettysburg, pitting the Union Army of the Potomac under Major General George G. Meade against the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia under General Robert E. Lee.

http://www.paperlessarchives.com/the-gettysburg-campaign-1863.html

The Paperless Archive makes this recent 68 page monograph available free:

The Gettysburg Campaign: June–July 1863 (2013)

VIEW/DOWNLOAD

The United States Army's Center of Military History in June 2013 published a new concise monograph on the Gettysburg Campaign.

Authors Carol Reardon and Tom Vossler examine the operations that culminated in the pivotal and devastating three-day Battle of Gettysburg, pitting the Union Army of the Potomac under Major General George G. Meade against the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia under General Robert E. Lee.

http://www.paperlessarchives.com/the-gettysburg-campaign-1863.html
Thanks ...
Did the South actually even have a Fighten chance at Gettysburg?? Always wondered being Southern Born in South Carolina, What was Lee's Downfall at this most important Battle?? was it his secondary Leadership ? Thanks again

Hi Pat, thanks again posting The Gettysburg Campaign: June–July 1863 (2013). There is a portion of the text that I that I find interesting in lieu of research I am doing on the 2nd day of the battle. It has to do with General Benning who, contrary to Hood's intentions, led his entire brigade behind Law’s 44th and 48th into Devils Den instead of following the main body of Law’s brigade towards the Round Tops. Law had pulled the 44th and 48th regiments from the far right of his brigade and had them pass behind to the left to attack Union artillery threatening his left.

The text you posted stated the Benning lost Law’s brigade in the woods (page 38). In the fog of battle it is very conceivable that Benning upon in seeing two of Law’s regiments passing to his front and left would make a turning movement in that direction . I think history might have recorded the battle for Little Round Top very differently had 2 full Confederate brigades been involved in the assault.

Bob

Thanks ...
Did the South actually even have a Fighten chance at Gettysburg?? Always wondered being Southern Born in South Carolina, What was Lee's Downfall at this most important Battle?? was it his secondary Leadership ? Thanks again

John Gibbon was a Southerner. Is he part of the South? He fought for the Union.

John Buford was a Southerner. Is he part of the South? He also fought for the Union.

My point is that while it's popular to think of North vs. South, it was United States, or Union, or the Federals, vs. the Confederacy or the Confederates. There were Southerners on both sides and Northerners on both sides.

Assuming you are asking if the Confederates had a chance at Gettysburg, not only did they have a chance, but they almost won the battle on Day Two.

Lee's downfall was the Union Army. The Union Army won the battle. It wasn't a failure on the confederate part that lost it.

Back