Fraternization stories.

Dugger

Banned
Anyone got any good Civil War fraternization stories handed down to them bout their ancestors Civil War service? Naturally I got a good one or I would not have started this!

I have mentioned her before on here. My Great Grandma lived to be 98 and was born in 1858. She died when I was 7. She remembered the war. She told me a story bout her brother who was home on leave here in S Ohio at Christmas 1863. He had re-upped I guess and got that month long pass for doing so. He was at Vicksburg, according to what he told her, and fell asleep on nightime sentry duty. He got woken up by someone poking him in the ribs with a bayonet. He looked up and it was a Rebel soldier who simply said, " Better stay awake Yank!" and walked away. She also said he turned, came back briefly, and asked her brother, now WIDE awake, if he had any coffee. He said no and the Reb walked away. Cool. The details she remembered from his account are fascinating. A lot of this went on at Vicksburg as the lines were very close to one another. She is also the one who told me bout being hid in the woods with the horses by her father when Morgan came tru this region. She was still very vivid bout that memory in her old age. Really scared her as she was only bout 5 or 6. She was blind when I was a boy due to cateracts and bedridden but her mind was, as they say bout some who get that far, still sharp as a tack. Called me Dougie Boy.

You can, of course, tell any good story bout fraternization....don't have to have been an ancestor. Fraternization during the Civil War has always fascinated me.

I do love these stories. Sorry none from relatives. here's a link to some going on at Fredericksburg. I particularly liked the story of the soldiers making toy sailboats to transport tobacco and coffee back and forth across the Rapahannock. the scabbard painted by a wounded soldier is particullarly poignant.
I believe there was a story of a raspberry field in the peninsula campaign? not sure of the particulars.
respectfully
Nap 12 lb'r
http://www.brotherswar.com/Fredericksburg-7.htm

I do love these stories. Sorry none from relatives. here's a link to some going on at Fredericksburg. I particularly liked the story of the soldiers making toy sailboats to transport tobacco and coffee back and forth across the Rapahannock. the scabbard painted by a wounded soldier is particullarly poignant.
I believe there was a story of a raspberry field in the peninsula campaign? not sure of the particulars.
respectfully
Nap 12 lb'r
http://www.brotherswar.com/Fredericksburg-7.htm

Nice post. Excellent. Speaking of taunts I recall reading somewhere (I always recall but never can specifically remember!) a story bout Yanks yelling taunts at the Rebs nearby bout how shabby they looked in their clothing. According to the story a Reb yelled back, "We-ons dont wear our Sunday meetin clothes when we goes to slaughter hogs." Whew....rough but a great retort.

Anyone got any good Civil War fraternization stories handed down to them bout their ancestors Civil War service? Naturally I got a good one or I would not have started this!

I have mentioned her before on here. My Great Grandma lived to be 98 and was born in 1858. She died when I was 7. She remembered the war. She told me a story bout her brother who was home on leave here in S Ohio at Christmas 1863. He had re-upped I guess and got that month long pass for doing so. He was at Vicksburg, according to what he told her, and fell asleep on nightime sentry duty. He got woken up by someone poking him in the ribs with a bayonet. He looked up and it was a Rebel soldier who simply said, " Better stay awake Yank!" and walked away. She also said he turned, came back briefly, and asked her brother, now WIDE awake, if he had any coffee. He said no and the Reb walked away. Cool. The details she remembered from his account are fascinating. A lot of this went on at Vicksburg as the lines were very close to one another. She is also the one who told me bout being hid in the woods with the horses by her father when Morgan came tru this region. She was still very vivid bout that memory in her old age. Really scared her as she was only bout 5 or 6. She was blind when I was a boy due to cateracts and bedridden but her mind was, as they say bout some who get that far, still sharp as a tack. Called me Dougie Boy.

You can, of course, tell any good story bout fraternization....don't have to have been an ancestor. Fraternization during the Civil War has always fascinated me.

l really enjoyed reading your post, GREAT WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

l really enjoyed reading your post, GREAT WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tks. All true. I still recall her voice trembling when she recounted being hid with the horses in the woods when Morgan was on the way. 90+ years after it happened and even though I was a small boy I felt her fear that was so still so vivid in her old age. Also, think of the trama that young children suffered when Sherman did his thing...and the pillage and plunder was far far greater than anything Morgan did in Indiana and Ohio.

Tks. All true. I still recall her voice trembling when she recounted being hid with the horses in the woods when Morgan was on the way. 90+ years after it happened and even though I was a small boy I felt her fear that was so still so vivid in her old age. Also, think of the trama that young children suffered when Sherman did his thing...and the pillage and plunder was far far greater than anything Morgan did in Indiana and Ohio.

Still blows my mind just how much history all you members can draw from.
lt is amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks...........................Jess.

Back