"Four children of Civil War soldiers still live in Virginia"

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
"There are no fewer than four children of Civil War veterans living in Virginia; they are classified as "real" sons and daughters, by the heritage groups that keep track. Two "real" Confederate daughters remain — sisters, in fact, who live in Danville and Rocky Mount — while a "real" Confederate son resides in Roanoke. The only "real" Union child, a daughter, lives in Varina in Henrico County."

http://www.timesdispatch.com/entertainment-life/four-children-of-civil-war-soldiers-still-live-in-virginia/article_2af45d6c-0523-5075-8d44-c7b2b0af04f2.html

"There are no fewer than four children of Civil War veterans living in Virginia; they are classified as "real" sons and daughters, by the heritage groups that keep track. Two "real" Confederate daughters remain — sisters, in fact, who live in Danville and Rocky Mount — while a "real" Confederate son resides in Roanoke. The only "real" Union child, a daughter, lives in Varina in Henrico County."

http://www.timesdispatch.com/entertainment-life/four-children-of-civil-war-soldiers-still-live-in-virginia/article_2af45d6c-0523-5075-8d44-c7b2b0af04f2.html
Wow that's cool. I wonder if the fathers told them stories? It would be nice to hear some of them.

Silas D. Mason

Residence Belfast ME; 22 years old.

Enlisted on 2/11/1864 as a Private.

On 2/11/1864 he mustered into "C" Co. ME 1st Cavalry
He was discharged on 4/28/1865

He was listed as:
* Absent, sick (date and place not stated) (1864)

Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:

- Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Maine
(c) Historical Data Systems, Inc. @ www.civilwardata.com
............................................................................................................

James Crane

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted as a Private (date unknown).
He was listed as:
* Detailed 1/15/1863 (place not stated) (Paid $0.25 extra as teamster)
He also had service in:
"B" Co. VA 13th Battn Light Artillery (April 1, 63 record of Capt Dickenson shows purchase of Coffin $10.00 for Private Crane.)
Other Information:
born in Pittsylvania County, VA
Oct 19, 1963 claim made by Ann M. Crane, Widow for $65.64.)

- The Virginia Regimental Histories Series

...............................................................................................................................................................................
Nathaniel Hammack

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted on 8/20/1863 at Pittsylvania County, VA as a Private.

On 8/20/1863 he mustered into "E" Co. VA 57th Infantry
(date and method of discharge not given)

He was listed as:
* On rolls 8/15/1864 (place not stated)
* Furloughed 10/15/1864 (place not stated)
* Hospitalized 11/5/1864 Danville, VA (With diarrhea)
* Returned 11/25/1864 (place not stated)
* Hospitalized 3/12/1865 Farmville, VA (With diarrhea)
* Transferred 4/15/1865 Lynchburg, VA Hospl (Estimated day)

- The Virginia Regimental Histories Series

“I know when I was in, like, third or fourth grade and we’d start studying the Civil War, I’d say, ‘My grandfather was in the Civil War!’” she said, recalling her teachers and classmates would correct her: “  ‘No, no, that was your great-grandfather.’ And I’d say, ‘No, it was my grandfather.’

“Mom even had to go to school one time and tell them it was my grandfather,” Jones said with a laugh.

That is great! Thanks for posting.

Back