found a few relics on property south of the Greenwell Springs Hospital

Alli'sCoop

Cadet
We found a few relics on property south of the Greenwell Springs Hospital in North Baton Rouge. The hospital was not there at the time but would like to know any information concerning this route. From my research this was a small outpost/site between Port Hudson and Baton Rouge. To my understanding the Confederate traveled these woods on the way to the Battle of Baton Rouge. Thanks

bien.jpg

That is a pretty interesting site. Before the War that are was developed by someone named Robert Greenwell as a medicinal spring resort. Thus the name. Was fairly popular place and the springs were thought to cure a lot of things... Fast Forward the area was Breckenridge's (yeah Buchanan's VP and later CSA General) Headquarters. Part of the battle of Baton Rouge was fought in the area, the resort became confederate hospital and there are lots of burials on site by both sides.

Cliff notes version of the story...

Yeah, need pictures. Lots of layers of History on that site.

That is a pretty interesting site. Before the War that are was developed by someone named Robert Greenwell as a medicinal spring resort. Thus the name. Was fairly popular place and the springs were thought to cure a lot of things... Fast Forward the area was Breckenridge's (yeah Buchanan's VP and later CSA General) Headquarters. Part of the battle of Baton Rouge was fought in the area, the resort became confederate hospital and there are lots of burials on site by both sides.

Thanks for the reply. We visited the Port Hudson site last weekend and learned a lot. We are about 500 yards directly on the route/ campsite on the Comite River from the old Greenwell Springs hospital. Of course I'm interested in the history and my wife is looking for treasures. Lol. We have an original log cabin still being lived in on the property that we were told could have been used as a house/hospital. It is said to be originally built in the 1830's so it seems to make sense. I'm trying to make sure we are on the right track and enjoying the opportunity to learn our history of the property. Thanks so much.

I can't seem to figure out how to paste photos from my phone but will be able to post pics soon.

I can't seem to figure out how to paste photos from my phone but will be able to post pics soon.
For me, it's much easier to upload photos from my desk top than from my phone.

Choose the upload a file button below the text box and then select "choose file".

You should then have options on how you wish your photo to appear: full screen, thumbnail, ect.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back