For Your Consideration And Wallet, Newspaper Ads 1860's

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
These require no tedious introductions. Some products hysterical some worrying..... the wringer washer being a vast improvement over the wash tub in the yard gives me pause. Wash tub in the yard an improvement over beating clothing on a rock. This leads me to wondering how in blazes beating clothing on a rock cleans anything.

There are no washing-rock ads. I looked.

ad1.JPG

ad2.JPG

ad3.JPG

ad4a.JPG

ad4b.JPG

ad5.JPG

ad6.JPG

ad7.JPG

ad8.JPG

ad9.JPG

ad11.JPG

ad10.JPG

ad12.JPG

ad13.JPG

ad14.JPG

What a fun post with the ads! Loved the before and after drawings for one of the tonics that claimed to be restorative. Reminds me of modern weight loss before and after photos. Guess its true then as much as things change some things always stay the same! :tongue:

Things do stay the same. It reminds me of a skin cream called Porcalana. I think that is the spelling. My Mom always bought it and rubbed on top of her hands and arms. It claimed it took away age spots. It never worked. The other day I see that Gold Bond has a cream that is suppose to remove age spots. Saw a commercial for it on TV.

Sounds like same claim as one Mom bought. Things always stay the same.

When I was in Korea in 1963-64 I saw Koreans washing clothing on rocks on the edge of streams and small ponds using rocks as a scrub board. How they got them white I have no idea but they did.

Thanks for posting these wonderful ad cuts.

It's fun. Maybe that's not the word. For all the incredible advantages we have today making life in general easier it seems to have been a trade off? Time has been saved, sure, washing machines, driers, cars, medicine- such a different world. Browsing these old ads not always sure I'd take 2015 over 1860 in a lot of aspects- slower pace the major one. Seems to me we're stuffed so full of obligations ensuring we can maintain all our advantages, who in heck can slow down long enough to enjoy one? Nobody make a list all about how we have it ' good ' now, sure. in some ways. In others? You can't tell me an 8 year old boy in 2015 wouldn't get a kick out of rolling a metal hoop down the street with a stick- someone just has to give him one and a place he can do it.

The Cormany Diaries mentions the gift of a treadle sewing machine to Rachel from her husband Samuel in 1863.

I learned to sew in the early 1960s on a treadle sewing machine! It was in the apartment we rented while my husband was in college. It was quite easy to use. I have no idea how old it was, but it was far more reliable than the electric machine my husband bought me when we moved.

Weird how husbands consider utilitarian items like sewing machines to be appropriate as gifts, both then and now...

The Cormany Diaries mentions the gift of a treadle sewing machine to Rachel from her husband Samuel in 1863.

I learned to sew in the early 1960s on a treadle sewing machine! It was in the apartment we rented while my husband was in college. It was quite easy to use. I have no idea how old it was, but it was far more reliable than the electric machine my husband bought me when we moved.

Weird how husbands consider utilitarian items like sewing machines to be appropriate as gifts, both then and now...

Yes, my husband once referred to a rookie mistake he made with an ex-wife. Vacuum cleaner for Valentine's Day. :spider: Even I felt sorry for the woman. I mean, really? Once we'd established it was genuinely horrifying, I receive nothing which may be plugged into a wall.

I see some excellent Christmas shopping ideas!

(All kidding aside, I would check out those sewing machines.)

OK, I have looked at what appears to be a cable knit shawl but not a shawl for weeks not without asking- and am officially off-thread. It will be worth getting yelled at. 1. Stunning. 2. Are you the craftsman? 3. Do you realize it's a little like the 1860's female garment, a sontag? ( now I have to do a thread )

OK, I have looked at what appears to be a cable knit shawl but not a shawl for weeks not without asking- and am officially off-thread. It will be worth getting yelled at. 1. Stunning. 2. Are you the craftsman? 3. Do you realize it's a little like the 1860's female garment, a sontag? ( now I have to do a thread )
Do you mean the shawl in my profile picture. If so

1) Thank you! :smile:
2) Yes.
3) I did not. And OHMYGOSH, you started a shawl thread! I'm having slight heart palpitations. I love shawls.

*knocks over furniture and small children to get to new shawl thread*

Back