" Flames Beyond Gettysburg ", Confederate Encounters With Civilians

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
So in case anyone has missed this book, please? A kind of must-read for anyone with Confederate ancestors who came to Pennsylvania July, 1863. Re-reading for the bazillionth time. Listen. I’ve been in every contentious ' What Happened To Free Blacks‘ thread since the beginning of Time ( as we measure Time on CWT. Which is waiting for Ole to come back. ). It's not it.

This is a whole’ nother part of the Confederate invasion. “ The Confederate Expedition to the Susquehanna River “, Scott L. Mingus Sr.’s ridiculously packed “ Flames Beyond Gettysburg “ can leave you a little fuzzy in places over invading forces.

york central rr.jpg

York Central Rail Road Station

From Wrightsville Bridge to Pottsville, Schuylkill County through Harrisburg with our improbable ( and never discussed ) skirmish in someone’s Camp Hill garden, Militia and Regular Army, Lee’s army reached an awfully long, frequently bedraggled, always hungry arm into Pennsylvania communities. Clashes were frequent, the emergency bringing troops from surrounding states in an urgent flood. I’m just a little smitten by citizen accounts through that summer, especially being able to relate to what it must have been like for wives and mothers and sisters and daughters those hot, unspeakable July days.

“ “ Ladies, I have a word to say. I suppose you think me a pretty rough looking man. But when I am shaved and dressed my wife thinks me a well looking fellow. I want to say to you we are not coming among you to pursue the same warfare your men did in our country. You need not have any fear of us, whilst we are in your midst. You are just as safe as if we were a thousand miles away. That is all I have to say. “ Then Gordon wheeled his horse and rode away. “ ( page 206 )

And “ One Confederate Officer, whose name is lost to history, rode slowly along Market Street and picked up Mary C Fisher’s daughter ( also named Mary ) , “ I have a little daughter at home with eyes just as blue as yours. “ he told her. The officer gently set her down and continued riding east. “ ( page 216 )

This is the human war, where Gettysburg’s Sallie Broadstead takes the citizens of York to task for paying their way into Ewell’s good graces - but the York citizens were graceful that July. Not that citizens elsewhere did anything other than what circumstances forced upon them. Mingus represents them well, this passing of humans through each other’s lives. The 31st Georgia was beautifully represented, too by private James J.M. Smith . In York an old lady came out and handed me a pair of course woolen socks with some kind words, bless her.”( 289 ) His shoes had given out. This was the invasion for two people, North and South. I don't think it was an old woman's approval for the Confederate army or a statement on the Union- she saw a young man with no shoes. It wrung her heart. OH my gosh, York as a whole was vilified for their peaceful acceptance of Confederates in their midst. I don't know. Sounds to me like once the two sides got a good look at each other it was too late- Gordon disallowed hostilities. Citizens became curious. It was a weird Perfect Storm of civility and timing- innate politeness won first. Then kindness. And oh gosh maybe for a little while everyone was just really tired of war.

My single problem with the Confederate army in these few pages was one soldier describing Pennsylvania females in a very unflattering way in a letter home. Hmmph. Maybe it was to a jealous spouse and he was a little obligated or hear about it for the rest of his life. We take note of the fact that this letter seems to have been preserved. :angel:

york hosp.jpg

york cwhospitalchapel.jpg

Chapel at York Hospital

This is their hospital in York, the Civil War era hospital. My grgrgrandfather was here for some time. Pinterest, of course.

I'd rather not hand around too many. It's just that I never see this book discussed. Anyone with an interest in the Confederate Army will find an awfully satisfying look into what some passed through so briefly and famously here in Pennsylvania. There are certainly writings elsewhere where awful moments and encounters are recorded- it was a massive army. Please no one yell at me on some of the worst moments of the invasion. I probably created some of those threads, too " Flames " is comprehensive- obviously is largely ' What happened ' in a military sense. Still, to me, it is the story of a human wave, a tsunami whose swell pulled elements of both armies and citizens into a huge tidal pool then ebbed, is still ebbing 150 inextricable years later.

Anyone interested in local history, like me, has a terrible time balancing say, Chambersburg's smouldering ruins with the quite different experience of York citizens . It was war. Still, these human aspects cannot be discounted, either. It's why the story of the Gettysburg family returning to find a polite note from an unknown, Confederate guest is so delightful. Somewhere in the shambles existed humans hoping other humans saw them.

york han hotel.jpg

Hanover Hotel, in the square, where Confederates also encountered citizens.

york hanover2.jpg
york hanover3.jpg
york HanoverPA1860s.jpg

These are all Hanover, PA. it's hard finding photos from York- no idea why. bet they exists somewhere and have yet to come to light. These old towns all looked extremely similar.

york wrightsvill.jpg

The famous Wrightsville Bridge occupation

Really is a ' Can't Put Down And Go To Bed-er '. Every time I pick it up there's something to go track down, too.

Considering Gordon's fame, reading some less well known words and a speech fleshes him out. There are such awful events surrounding those June and July days, you do not hear of the other human side- and no one is attempting anything save a look at what happens when that many humans are thrown together under terribly stressful conditions. It does seem the case that leaders play a huge role in outcome. One citizen wrote that despite citizens' curiosity, Confederate soldiers maintained what was obviously military discipline while marching through York.

gordon 2.JPG

General John B. Gordon, LoC photograph

" The people of York are the most intelligent and refined we have met in the state." One soldier noted during the march. You'd have to guess whether or not the people of York were a cut above anyone else up here is arguable, they were seen to be because the army did not march through empty street or streets filled with a hostile population- that some kind of unspoken truce had been called between North and South seems apparent despite a catalog of complaints- horses and other stock missing, valuables paid for in Confederate script. One woman's actions, feeding a very young Confederate soldier she singled out, was the result of seeing him so far from home, she knew. We know she wrote of it. How many others did the same thing while leaving no record? Guessing quite a number.

Back