Flag Preservation Effort in Carlisle, PA

samuel orris

Sergeant
The dimensions of this flag would suggest it was most likely a display or hanging piece on a wall, balcony rail as a patriotic display item Also possible on a building or garrison. Its not of a size or fabric commonly used with military forces in the field.

I agree with Frederick, this is most likely a banner from the cemetery dedication, other ceremony or reunion. Military (field) flags were more square in size due to the ability to maneuver with it unfurled. A garrison, ship or patriotic type flags were too large and would either trail on the ground or envelope the color guard. Larger flags would be difficult to handle in a strong wind, almost acting as a sail.

This is a highly sought after flag at 34 stars, since this was the 1861 flag until June of '63 when West Virginia was admitted.

additional side note... Naval flags normally used a rope hoist edge to secure the flag.. this one has ties.. As Package4 mentioned... field flags tended to be square usually in the 6x6 foot range and most commonly made of silk fabric.

The dimensions of this flag would suggest it was most likely a display or hanging piece on a wall, balcony rail as a patriotic display item Also possible on a building or garrison. Its not of a size or fabric commonly used with military forces in the field.

weren't field regimental flags more of a square?....plus, the gold stars throw me...I have no idea what they may mean....I'm curious if there has been any identification as to who, what and where it may have represented (which unit or officers, etc...). I don't think it was Pennsylvania unit, they had the state logo in the star field...I'll also have to look up a 34 star flag....that will date it...which territory became the next state to get a star....

Back