Finding a grave - some advice needed

Figure (if he was living with the son in 1906) at most a 20-mile radius, unless they were very well-to-do. Normally, I've been successful with a 10-12 mile radius. You're closer! If you don't hear from the genealogy people or the church, try just calling the library. They can tell you if there's a cemetery book for the county, and since so many of those were done (hand-typed!) back about the 1960's and 1970's as the Bicentennial approached, there might have been a chance a grave that's now unmarked might have been identified then.

You're getting closer!

They can tell you if there's a cemetery book for the county, and since so many of those were done (hand-typed!) back about the 1960's and 1970's as the Bicentennial approached, there might have been a chance a grave that's now unmarked might have been identified then.

With even more luck, the cemetery was laid out on the pages of the books like they were in the cemetery, with an index in the back. This way you can find a stone you can read and count to the one you can't and visit the correct one.

Sadly, some well-meaning societies simply alphabetized the headstones on index cards, then printed them in a book. Guess how I know that?!?!

With even more luck, the cemetery was laid out on the pages of the books like they were in the cemetery, with an index in the back. This way you can find a stone you can read and count to the one you can't and visit the correct one.

Sadly, some well-meaning societies simply alphabetized the headstones on index cards, then printed them in a book. Guess how I know that?!?!

Yeah, I just hiked a cemetery Sunday morning looking for two girls killed by Comanches. No marker. No historical marker, nada. I'm beginning to think my home county is clueless about preservation and history, and I'm sort of ashamed. They used to be in the forefront. Now they're trying to knock down the oldest house left in town and the historic African-American school. Grrrrrr.

Yeah, I just hiked a cemetery Sunday morning looking for two girls killed by Comanches. No marker. No historical marker, nada. I'm beginning to think my home county is clueless about preservation and history, and I'm sort of ashamed. They used to be in the forefront. Now they're trying to knock down the oldest house left in town and the historic African-American school. Grrrrrr.

Seems wrong to "like" your post :-(

Since he served on the Confederate side, you might check with one or more area camps of Sons of Confederate Veterans. They often have records of local burials of Confederate veterans.

Covington County had a fire in 1895 that destroyed records. Also can't find anything on his wife's family. I'd call the local historical society. I'll keep looking

I found a Isaiah Boles born in 11-02-09 buried at Chapel Hill cemetery.... in Covington... I assume a grandson or nephew of your Isaiah...

BOLES, Isaiah 11-2-1909 10-5-1979 dhs

BOLES, Eula 7-16-1909 2-11-1992

link...
http://www.trackingyourroots.com/data/covcem10.htm

Found This...
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=29953744

Thanks 5fish, yeah that Isaiah Boles was his grandson I believe. I ran across that one as well awhile back. I have to believe he is buried in either Coffee or Covington County. I lean towards Covington since the last census he shows up in is 1900 and has him in Covington. Obviously things could change in 6 years between 1900 and 1906 but his son, who is also listed living with him in the same census, is buried in Covington County at Smyrna Baptist Church in Florala. My guess is he is probably buried somewhere in Covington.

Well, duh. church records. I found my great-grandpa Dickens' best records from the church he, his new wife, his daughter (my granddaughter) and HIS MOTHER joined in Rusk Co......yep, his mother. Explained just who that little old mean lady in black was in the family pictures!

Well I emailed the SCV out of Covington and Coffee County so waiting to see if they have any Confederate veteran burial records for their respective counties. I tried calling the church where my uncle is buried in Covington County a few times over the last week or so but no answer. It's pretty small so not sure they have anyone there during week days or not. That or I've had bad luck reaching them.

rickvox79 once you find it you really should apply for a free marker from the VA as JohnnyReb suggests. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) furnishes upon request, at no charge to the applicant, a Government headstone or marker for the unmarked grave of any deceased eligible Veteran in any cemetery around the world, regardless of their date of death. There is no charge for the headstone or marker itself, however arrangements for placing it in a private cemetery are the applicant's responsibility and all setting fees are at private expense. The process is fairly simple and you can download and print the form. http://www.cem.va.gov/hmm/ Best of luck to you in finding the grave.

rickvox79 once you find it you really should apply for a free marker from the VA as JohnnyReb suggests. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) furnishes upon request, at no charge to the applicant, a Government headstone or marker for the unmarked grave of any deceased eligible Veteran in any cemetery around the world, regardless of their date of death. There is no charge for the headstone or marker itself, however arrangements for placing it in a private cemetery are the applicant's responsibility and all setting fees are at private expense. The process is fairly simple and you can download and print the form. http://www.cem.va.gov/hmm/ Best of luck to you in finding the grave.

Thanks, yeah I was looking into the Veteran's marker, now just gotta find where he is buried!

Back