FARQUHAR Beaton

chaughey001

Private
Hello Folks,

I hope everyone is well. Iam looking for a gentlemen named Farquhar Baeton ( Farguhot)

Hes born abt 1818 Scotland
wife's name Jane Stewart also from Scotland he enlists in the civil war and we can locate him after that.
It does not seem that Jane applies for a pension nor headstone and in 1870 shes going by her maiden name.

He was living in Washington D.C. any help would be great.

Thanks

Carol Haughey

@chaughey001 the only thing I turned up on Ancestry military wise for him was he was a Teamster in June & July of 1863 in Washington DC. Teamsters drove supply wagons and sometimes were not considered regular military, especially since he had no rank listed. I was able to view the document scan and its from a register of all non-soldier duties like clerks, mechanics, etc. I'll do some digging o Fold3 if I have time.

@chaughey001 the only thing I turned up on Ancestry military wise for him was he was a Teamster in June & July of 1863 in Washington DC. Teamsters drove supply wagons and sometimes were not considered regular military, especially since he had no rank listed. I was able to view the document scan and its from a register of all non-soldier duties like clerks, mechanics, etc. I'll do some digging o Fold3 if I have time.

thank you so much ive been busy and have not been on lately I do know that his wife syas shes a widow i think in 1870 so im guessing after 1863 and before 1870 the odd things ive found are
NO death record
hes not buried in the plots he bought
in 1870 i do beleive that his wife is listed under her maiden name not married name so she knows shes a widow??
another ver odd record i came across was a 1917 letter of intent in new york yes i know it was rare for someone to live that
long but it did rarely happen hes from scotland and born in 1818 so my thought is does she assume hes dead ? his name is odd indeed and very few show up from scotland your thoughts ??
and thanks again
carol

thank you so much ive been busy and have not been on lately I do know that his wife syas shes a widow i think in 1870 so im guessing after 1863 and before 1870 the odd things ive found are
NO death record
hes not buried in the plots he bought
in 1870 i do beleive that his wife is listed under her maiden name not married name so she knows shes a widow??
another ver odd record i came across was a 1917 letter of intent in new york yes i know it was rare for someone to live that
long but it did rarely happen hes from scotland and born in 1818 so my thought is does she assume hes dead ? his name is odd indeed and very few show up from scotland your thoughts ??
and thanks again
carol

Ancestors research is a tricky business. People change their first names all of a sudden and the only reason you know its them is because they show up in the same census with some other family members that don't change their names. I had an ancestor named William Jackson Cash who suddenly became Jackson Cash then just Jack Cash. He had a son Charles Earl who suddenly went by Earl. You might want to see if he had a middle name, perhaps on his immigration record it mentions his full name. Also if you've been able to find out the name of his father that might be a starting point for an alternate name. A marriage record would also contain full names.

As to why there is no death record that depends what year he died and where as an official document might not exist despite his actually dying. Also when women got divorced or separated from their husband in the 19th century they often listed their status as widowed especially if they had a child or children. I have an ancestor Sallie Margaret who claims widowhood in the 1900 census when I found her husband very much alive in a prison :-( He died in 1937.

You'd be surprised how difficult unique names can be to pin down in the census. You would think it was easier because you shouldn't have to sift through as many wrong documents sharing a similar or same name as your ancestor however I have discovered the opposite. It seems like those folks liked changing their names more often!

thank you so very much for your answer and yes I think he's alive and leaves the family which is why she goes back to her maiden name I did find a document in new York he be about 100 yrs old but everything else matches up even their daughter takes on moms maiden name that says to me THAT MAYBE what ever happened was embarrassing and she does not
want to be known as his daughter I did think that maybe he changed his name but the record I found in new York makes me think he continues to use his name. she shall see..lol

Back