Farmer Poe's Story - Chickamauga

T

Trese Todd

I am Larkin Poe's great-great grand-daughter. His son, called Daddy Poe (I think Arthur or AK Poe) had 8 children. His oldest, my grandmother, was Laveecha Poe Bryant. My mother, Barbara Bryant Todd Stanfield is 93 years old and still lives in a tiny town near Chattanooga where Larkin brought the family after the War. There are family ledgends about how he left the Confederate Army, but I dare not post them on a public forum. I have seen a photo of Larkin, Daddy Poe, and Laveecha holding my mother as a baby. They are standing in front of a 1920s-style car. It puts history into perspective.

Welcome to the forum Trese.

Are you talking about Larkin Poe who served with Company K, 4th Georgia Cavalry?

26082.jpg

Larkin Poe Memorial
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...Sst=45&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=47517445&df=all&

Any of his descendants could join the Sons of Conferate Veterans or Daugthers of COnfederate Veterans
If he ever applied for a military pension--it would be either from Ga from where he served..or from Tenn where he resided

related link of Larkin Poe
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/farmer-poes-story-chickamauga.111018/

I have not researched it yet to see where our Poe lines come together. Larkin Poe was born in 1833 in Tenn. My ancestor John Poe who was a CSA veteran was born in 1836 in Habersham County Ga. Our lines probably cross further back and further east most likely.

I am Larkin Poe's great-great grand-daughter. His son, called Daddy Poe (I think Arthur or AK Poe) had 8 children. His oldest, my grandmother, was Laveecha Poe Bryant. My mother, Barbara Bryant Todd Stanfield is 93 years old and still lives in a tiny town near Chattanooga where Larkin brought the family after the War. There are family ledgends about how he left the Confederate Army, but I dare not post them on a public forum. I have seen a photo of Larkin, Daddy Poe, and Laveecha holding my mother as a baby. They are standing in front of a 1920s-style car. It puts history into perspective.

Thanks for posting. Would love to see any of those pictures if you have them available to scan. I was going to paste a link to a thread I did about him last year but looks like tryagain already posted it. Check out that story, really interesting although may be a story you had already heard.

Back