Famous ancestors of Robert E Lee ?

yankee hoorah

First Sergeant
Besides Fitzhugh, Robert Lee Jr, "Light Horse Harry" Lee & George Washington Lee.
Who are some other big civil war & revolution soldiers & officers who are related to
Robert E Lee?
I'm asking because Robert E Lee is my
3rd cousin 2x removed of wife of 1st cousin 5x removed of husband of sister-in-law of nephew of husband of 2nd great grand aunt.

Many of the old Virginia families (the "FFV" - First Families of Virginia - learned from a recent thread to be sure to spell out the abbreviation) were interrelated, so if you poke around long enough in the Lee tree, you'll start seeing a lot of the other names as well. The only one of them I've done any extensive research on is the Walke family, of course, but branches of the Walkes go out all over-- to the Lees and many others. Henry Walke himself noted connections to
"Allen, Alman, Armistead, Baker, Berkley, Burnet,
Berriman, Bishop, Breese, Calvert, Carmichael, Curtis, Dun,
Evans, Fairfax, Forrest, Garnet, Henderson, Hamilton,
Ingram, Kennedy, Lawson, Leigh, Lee, Mason, Meade, McArthur,
McCauley, McIntosh, McAlpin, Moseley, Mullaney, Maxwell,
Newton, Nash, Pennock, Randolph, Richardson, Rodgers,
Sanford, Smith, Scott, Shufeldt, Thoroughgood, Talbot,
Taylor, Thurman, Truxton, Tazwell [sic], Tucker, Tunstall,
Wallace, Williamson, Willoughby, Whitehead, Whittle."

And he should have noted the Rolfes as well, via the Randolphs; some of Walke's not-too-distant cousins were descended from none other than John Rolfe and Pocahantas.

Many of the old Virginia families (the "FFV" - First Families of Virginia - learned from a recent thread to be sure to spell out the abbreviation) were interrelated, so if you poke around long enough in the Lee tree, you'll start seeing a lot of the other names as well. The only one of them I've done any extensive research on is the Walke family, of course, but branches of the Walkes go out all over-- to the Lees and many others. Henry Walke himself noted connections to

And he should have noted the Rolfes as well, via the Randolphs; some of Walke's not-too-distant cousins were descended from none other than John Rolfe and Pocahantas.
General Armistead?

How Cool, i'm related to General Armistead, possibly.

If you're related to General Lee, you're related to General Armistead. Lee's mother, Anne Hill Carter, was the grandaughter of Robert and Judith Armistead Carter. The latter's parents, John and Judith Armistead, were General Armistead's 2nd or 3rd great grandparents. I'd have to look it up, but the Generals were blood cousins for sure.

I'm related to one of Pocahantas' brothers and through that to Lee. Jeb Stuart, too, from that line. Grover Cleveland? That's interesting because Grant was a cousin of Cleveland's...which means he was a distant cousin of Lee's, too!

My family (or half of it at least) has been in Virginia from almost the beginning of European colonization. Not one of my family relations is in that list. Hilariously low class. No wonder I panic sweat if I step into a nice restaurant.

Lots of famous Lee relations: Richard Henry Lee and Philip Ludwell Lee (Signers of the Declaration of Independence), Arthur Lee and William Lee (diplomats at the time of the Revolution), Sydney Smith Lee (Confederate naval captain & Robert E. Lee's brother), Samuel Phillips Lee (Civil War U.S. Navy captain and post-war admiral) and Willis A. Lee (WWII admiral)

Lots of famous Lee relations: Richard Henry Lee and Philip Ludwell Lee (Signers of the Declaration of Independence), Arthur Lee and William Lee (diplomats at the time of the Revolution), Sydney Smith Lee (Confederate naval captain & Robert E. Lee's brother), Samuel Phillips Lee (Civil War U.S. Navy captain and post-war admiral) and Willis A. Lee (WWII admiral)
Wow, can't believe I overlooked that

Most of the top brass of the ANV was related to Lee somehow, too! Pickett, Heth, possibly Richard Ewell, Jeb Stuart and on.

Most of the top brass of the ANV was related to Lee somehow, too! Pickett, Heth, possibly Richard Ewell, Jeb Stuart and on.
wow, I didn't know that. I did know of George Washington though.
Was Jefferson Davis?
Abe Lincoln was a distant cousin as seen in the first link

wow, I didn't know that. I did know of George Washington though.
Was Jefferson Davis?
Abe Lincoln was a distant cousin as seen in the first link

Davis wasn't related to Lee. The relationship to Washington comes through Mary Lee, who was a cousin. Martha Washinton's maiden name was Dandridge. Dorothy Dandridge, her sister, married Patrick Henry. A daughter or granddaughter of his married into the Stuarts and that's how Jeb Stuart came to be Robert E Lee's fifth cousin.

Back