F.H. Kennedy, Terry's Texas Rangers

John Galle

Cadet
Hi folks. I have loved Civil War history for many years. I am in need of help in finding more on a gent named F. H. Kennedy. That is the name engraved on the back strap of a C Company Walker colt pistol I just bought. I know the C Company walkers were issued to the Texas Rangers in the Mexican War. Many were not turned in at the end of the war. They were "liberated" and taken home. I know there was no F. H. Kennedy in the Rangers in Mexico. I do find F. H. Kennedy enlisting into the 8th Texas Cavalry in Houston in 1861. I know these boys were to bring weapons from home. Patterson 5 shot revolvers and horse pistols were among the hand guns brought to Houston. The Walker is a horse pistol.
F. H. Kennedy was in a private hospital in Mississippi for one month after Shiloh. That is all I know about the young man. Can anyone help me?

Welcome from Wet Texas!

This is his profile from the (now defunct) Terry's Rangers website:

Born at KY around 1838.

Resided at Houston, Harris County, TX; occupied as a druggist.
Hospitalized at Rienzi, MS in April and May 1862.
Received payment for hospital expenses in June 1862.
Discharged due to unknown disability.

Also Identified As:
Kenedy

Family Members & Researcher Contacts:
Unidentified

Sources:
Claiborne, John M. Muster Roll of Terry's Texas Rangers; With Historical Remarks. Galveston: Self Published, 1882.

Jones, Andrew M. Annotated Roster of Terry's Texas Rangers, the 8th Texas Cavalry. Unpublished Research.

Scott, Paul R. Eighth Texas Cavalry, CSA. Arlington: The University of Texas at Arlington, July 1977. Unpublished MA Thesis.

Research Links:
(offsite) RootsWeb Message Boards (surname: Kennedy)
(offsite) Genealogy.com Genealogy Forum (surname: Kennedy)
(offsite) RootsWeb Message Boards (surname: Kenedy)
(offsite) Genealogy.com Genealogy Forum (surname: Kenedy)
(offsite) TXGenWeb Project (Harris County, TX)
(offsite) RootsWeb Message Boards (Harris County, TX)
(offsite) Genealogy.com Genealogy Forum (Harris County, TX)

There were at least four other Kennedys in the regiment; don't know if they're related.

Welcome, John. I think we should move this over to the Ancestry Forum, since it'll get more coverage there....and let's retitle it F.H. Kennedy; even though he's not your ancestor, he's who we're looking for--and you never know--he might have someone looking for him on the Internet!

Sounds like you got a nice little piece there. Glad you're researching Kennedy's history.

Complied Service Record:

Page 0.jpg Page 1.jpg Page 2.jpg Page 3.jpg Page 4.jpg Page 5.jpg Page 6.jpg

Welcome from Wet Texas!

Born at KY around 1838.

Also Identified As:
Kenedy

Unidentified

Sources:
Claiborne, John M. Muster Roll of Terry's Texas Rangers; With Historical Remarks. Galveston: Self Published, 1882.

Jones, Andrew M. Annotated Roster of Terry's Texas Rangers, the 8th Texas Cavalry. Unpublished Research.

Scott, Paul R. Eighth Texas Cavalry, CSA. Arlington: The University of Texas at Arlington, July 1977. Unpublished MA Thesis.

Research Links:

There were at least four other Kennedys in the regiment; don't know if they're related.

Here is the 1860 census, with F. Kennedy listed as a druggist. One caution, I don't know how the developer of the old website is certain that this F. Kennedy is the same man as trooper F. H. Kennedy of the Eighth Texas -- the age is right, but it's not an uncommon name.

4297438_00294.jpg

Welcome, John. I think we should move this over to the Ancestry Forum, since it'll get more coverage there....and let's retitle it F.H. Kennedy; even though he's not your ancestor, he's who we're looking for--and you never know--he might have someone looking for him on the Internet!

Sounds like you got a nice little piece there. Glad you're researching Kennedy's history.
I was very lucky! I bought this at auction via telephone. I had the pistol inspected by an expert. No mention of a name engraved on the pistol by the auction house or my expert!

It's finally over. Glad you folks had it easy. We're okay; thanks for asking. It was a whopper....flooding, hailstones, the works. But, as you well know, we Texans do not dare complain about rain! :smile:

It's finally over. Glad you folks had it easy. We're okay; thanks for asking. It was a whopper....flooding, hailstones, the works. But, as you well know, we Texans do not dare complain about rain! :smile:

Yeah, sun just came out this minute and skies are totally blue. Of course. I put flannel sheets on the bed to drive off the cold for Friday. Hope I didn't do it permanently.

Back to poor F.H. Kennedy. That "private hospital" business doesn't sound promising for his survival, does it?

John,
I too would enjoy seeing a photo of the revolver. I'm not a computer whiz either.
Steve Job's products spoiled me with the drag & drop photo feature. Not to worry though, there is a simple way to upload photos on these forums.

I'm sure those that know more than I, will explain this feature. There is a learning curve on CivilWarTalk, but it's very short.:smile coffee:

Welcome from Wet Texas!

Born at KY around 1838.

Also Identified As:
Kenedy

Unidentified

Sources:

Research Links:

What happened to the Terry's website? It was great and I noticed a couple of months ago that it was down.

Back