1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Essential books for Confederate uniforms.

Discussion in 'Civil War Uniforms & Relics' started by major bill, Jan 10, 2017.

1. major bill

major bill Captain Forum Host

this is one I do not have yet and have given some thought of buying.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. major bill

This book is nice to have but most of the information can also be found in other books. The Bibliography gives about 6-10 books about each state and is useful to find other books.

field 7.jpg

4. Package4

Package4 Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

I also think it goes without saying that a subscription to North South Trader Magazine can be very helpful in this field. I have had problems with them in the past, allowing George Juno to have their back cover, but that is the past, so I am not a shill for their publication.

http://www.nstcivilwar.com/

NS TRADER.jpg NS TRADER.jpg 37-3ChasseurspreadIntroforWebsiteUpdate.jpg

5. major bill

Here is a book that people might want about Confederate uniforms. Over the years the Company of Military Historians have publish 52 full color plates depicting Confederate uniforms in their well-know Military Uniforms in America series. Each plate comes with a narrative about the unit and uniforms shown in the plate. In 1982 The Company of Military Historians & Collectors published a book with 12 of some of the older plates showing Confederate uniforms. If one has all the 52 plates they have a great deal of information on Confederate uniforms (the Uniforms in America series has over 900 uniform plates in total, covering many ears and nations). On the down side the plates are based on what a member finds interesting and may not cover what you find interesting. Those interest in Confederate uniforms will find many articles on the subject publish in the quarterly Company of Military Hisorian Journal (magazine). Again articles in the magazine are what some member submits and may not cover a subject you might be interested in. The wear on my copy of this book shows I have probably got my money's worth out of the book.

field 214.jpg

6. major bill

Unless you are interest in an over view of American infantry or cavalry uniforms, these are two books you can skip. Between the that have 210 color illustrations of uniforms and many photos. But in general the uniform descriptions are limited to the describing the color plates with most narrative in the books covering the history of the infantry and cavalry. The two books do have 29 uniform uniforms and 12 confederate uniforms. These are both fine books but not needed to research Confederate uniforms.

field 231.jpg field 232.jpg

7. major bill

This is also a fine book on uniforms in America but even with 100 color uniforms illustrated, it only has 5 Union and 5 Confederate uniforms. Again it is mostly about the history of armies in America and not specifically about uniforms.

field 233.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)