Equipment transfer among regiments?

cwbuff

Corporal
I am trying to understand if unused equipment was passed from one regiment to another. The reason for the question is about some detective work that I have been conducting regarding a canteen. I have a canteen that was carried by two Pennsylvania infantrymen.Their names are marked on the original linen strap. The first is clearly identified to Co. G, 147th PVI. He died of typhoid in April 1862. The second name is clearly J.W. Irwin. The regiment marking is hard to read - it could be 147th or it could be 149th PA. I did not find a J.W. Irwin in the 147th, but there was a Sgt. James W. Irwin in the 149th PVI.

I am trying to understand if unused equipment was passed from one regiment to another. The reason for the question is about some detective work that I have been conducting regarding a canteen. I have a canteen that was carried by two Pennsylvania infantrymen.Their names are marked on the original linen strap. The first is clearly identified to Co. G, 147th PVI. He died of typhoid in April 1862. The second name is clearly J.W. Irwin. The regiment marking is hard to read - it could be 147th or it could be 149th PA. I did not find a J.W. Irwin in the 147th, but there was a Sgt. James W. Irwin in the 149th PVI.
Many personals such as canteens were kept as keepsakes by a messmate, I have a frock that was worn by two different soldiers who were friends. The family story says that when the original owner mustered out he gave the coat to a friend in another regiment, re-enlisted and was killed at the Crater, the coat was returned to the original owner's family.

Finding out if they were from the same town or even county might help

There is a GW Irwin in the 147th Co E

Back