lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
Opinions wanted!!!! :help:
Has anyone ever stayed at the Emmitsburg Sleep Inn & Suites or perhaps someone living in the area who can advise?

The hubby and I are all set for our second Civil War tour - hopefully in a few weeks if his vacation is approved.
Here is our anticipated itinerary:

June 20 Drive to Shepherdstown
June 21-23 Harpers Ferry, Sharpsburg, Antietam, Cramptons Gap, Pry House, etc
June 24 Frederick MD Museum of CW Medicine
June 25- 28 Gettysburg, Seminary Ridge Museum, Spangler Farm, Wills House, etc
June 29 Drive back to AL

Was thinking of possibly staying in Emmitsburg as it is seems like it would be convenient to Gettysburg without all the crowds and competition for hotel rooms? Any opinions?

There arent many rooms available in Gettysburg proper. The ones that are left are either in small local motels or are suites in national chains. Those suites seem pretty expensive to me, but what do I know? Im from Alabama.....where you can still get a room at the Hampton Inn for under $100 a night.:dance:

Laura, there are some great period Bed and Breakfast-type Inns at Gettysburg and its environs. The problem is we're entering High Season and it's getting expensive. Emmitsburg is close enough and if you can get in there, book it. I've stayed in the Sleep Inn & Suites and it will be fine, really. Clean and comfy!

Fantastic trip for you and your spouse - congratulations!

Opinions wanted!!!! :help:
Has anyone ever stayed at the Emmitsburg Sleep Inn & Suites or perhaps someone living in the area who can advise?

The hubby and I are all set for our second Civil War tour - hopefully in a few weeks if his vacation is approved.
Here is our anticipated itinerary:

June 20 Drive to Shepherdstown
June 21-23 Harpers Ferry, Sharpsburg, Antietam, Cramptons Gap, Pry House, etc
June 24 Frederick MD Museum of CW Medicine
June 25- 28 Gettysburg, Seminary Ridge Museum, Spangler Farm, Wills House, etc
June 29 Drive back to AL

Was thinking of possibly staying in Emmitsburg as it is seems like it would be convenient to Gettysburg without all the crowds and competition for hotel rooms? Any opinions?

There arent many rooms available in Gettysburg proper. The ones that are left are either in small local motels or are suites in national chains. Those suites seem pretty expensive to me, but what do I know? Im from Alabama.....where you can still get a room at the Hampton Inn for under $100 a night.:dance:
Too bad your trip does not itinerary Gettysburg on the June 13 weekend. That's when the CivilWarTalkers invade Gettysburg! Would love to have you folks along! Have you tried a search for Bed & Breakfasts in Gettysburg?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60798-Gettysburg_Pennsylvania-Hotels.html

I never stay at Gettysburg because of the prices and availability. I like to stay at Hanover (which about as far as Emmitsburg) but it less expensive. The Holiday Inn Express and the Hampton Inn (just north of town) are both good and clean hotels and the price is right. There is also a nice self-directed walking tour of the Battle of Hanover downtown.

If you don't mind driving half an hour or so from Gettysburg, and you look for better prices, the I-81 corridor from Hagerstown, MD to Chambersburg, PA is the way to go. Stick to any major chain hotel and you will be fine.

I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a number of weeks during my fire department career at the National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg and you'll enjoy the town. The people are nice, the beverages are cold at the Ott House and it is an easy ride to either Frederick or Gettysburg. Enjoy your trip, I think that you'll like Emmitsburg and the best part is that it isn't nearly as crazy as Gettysburg in the Summer. Also, don't forget your obligatory picture standing under the Mason-Dixon Line sign.

Last edited:
Hello Laura;

I can't speak for that specific hotel…but, I used to work up at Emmittsburg. It definitely is worth checking out as an alternative to Gettysburg proper. It's about 10-15 miles south of G-burg. Just keep following route 15 and it will take you into Gettysburg.

If I were to do your itinerary….I would stay at Emmittsburg….because I'm already clued into that situation. Also, if you are going to Gettysburg, then Emmittsburg is worth a stay unto itself….because Emmittsburg is tied into the battle of Gettysburg as well.

Union troops encamped there on their way to Gettysburg, and the cupola for the convent was used to scout prior to the battle….also, the Lutheran St. Joseph's (there are 2….it is confusing….the 2nd is Catholic) was used by the signal corps.

You most likely will not able to go up into the cupola @ Catholic St. Joe's…because the campus is a Federal Govt. facility. It's the 'First responder' / Fire Fighter academy. I doubt you will be able to gain access to the campus.

It's the 'brother' campus to 'Mt. St. Mary's' catholic college. It used to be a segregated male /female college (men @ St. Joe's campus….ladies @ St. Mary's….the old name was 'Mt. St. Mary & Joseph's')

My understanding is back in the 20's or 30's….the school finally integrated the student body….(ahem)….and subsequently decided that since they were now integrated…they no longer needed 2 campuses….and decided to sell off a campus….That is when the federal govt. stepped in, and purchased it.

I know….too much info at this point….

When my boss, at the time, found out about my interest in the Civil War….he took me, one day during lunch, up into the convent's cupola, with a set of binoculars…..literally…a picture is worth a thousand words…and one look from up there with those binoculars….looking towards Gettysburg…explained a whole lot to me as to why it was used prior to, and during the battle.

(Cue 'The Who'…I can see for miles and miles…..)

Hello Laura;

I can't speak for that specific hotel…but, I used to work up at Emmittsburg. It definitely is worth checking out as an alternative to Gettysburg proper. It's about 10-15 miles south of G-burg. Just keep following route 15 and it will take you into Gettysburg.

If I were to do your itinerary….I would stay at Emmittsburg….because I'm already clued into that situation. Also, if you are going to Gettysburg, then Emmittsburg is worth a stay unto itself….because Emmittsburg is tied into the battle of Gettysburg as well.

Union troops encamped there on their way to Gettysburg, and the cupola for the convent was used to scout prior to the battle….also, the Lutheran St. Joseph's (there are 2….it is confusing….the 2nd is Catholic) was used by the signal corps.

You most likely will not able to go up into the cupola @ Catholic St. Joe's…because the campus is a Federal Govt. facility. It's the 'First responder' / Fire Fighter academy. I doubt you will be able to gain access to the campus.

It's the 'brother' campus to 'Mt. St. Mary's' catholic college. It used to be a segregated male /female college (men @ St. Joe's campus….ladies @ St. Mary's….the old name was 'Mt. St. Mary & Joseph's')

My understanding is back in the 20's or 30's….the school finally integrated the student body….(ahem)….and subsequently decided that since they were now integrated…they no longer needed 2 campuses….and decided to sell off a campus….That is when the federal govt. stepped in, and purchased it.

I know….too much info at this point….

When my boss, at the time, found out about my interest in the Civil War….he took me, one day during lunch, up into the convent's cupola, with a set of binoculars…..literally…a picture is worth a thousand words…and one look from up there with those binoculars….looking towards Gettysburg…explained a whole lot to me as to why it was used prior to, and during the battle.

(Cue 'The Who'…I can see for miles and miles…..)

Don't forget the most famous citizen of Emmitsburg-Elizabeth Ann Seton (the first American Saint). Also, the site of the Fire Academy was used as a hospital after the battle.

Last August a friend and I stayed 3 nights at the very nice Battlefield B&B located adjacent to South Cavalry Field and near NO tourist attractions. There was a variety of room sizes and types, some in the historic stone farmhouse. Each morning after breakfast there was an hour-long talk by a knowledgeable local, one of whom was a former NPS official from the park. You should at least check it out.

119-jpg.jpg

I just stayed in the Americas Best Value Inn on Steinwehr St last weekend and it was pretty good. Not luxurious by any means, but clean and conveniently located near Cemetery Hill. In walking distance to everything. It was about $90 a night with a weeks notice.

Back