Elliott G. Walter POW at Gaines Mill 10th / 39th Pennsylvania Rgt

Al Murray

Sergeant
Hi all

Last night I ran across an old e-mail from a cousin that mentioned our uncle, Elliott Gardner Walter (Walter/Walters) being in the Civil War in the 39th PA Regiment. I had not remembered this, and started looking for his record. He enlisted in the “Clarion river Guards” in 1861, designated as part of both the 10th PA and the 39th PA. He was taken to Pittsburgh, then Cumberland, etc on to the Peninsula Campaign. I found out that he was wounded and captured at the Battle of Gaines Mill. A. J. Davis’ 1887 “History of Clarion County” has this:

“About half past three o'clock P.M., June 27,the company (E Co 10th / 39th PA) became engaged in the bloody battle of Gaines's Mill….. the …. following were wounded: …. Elliott G. Walter, … - fourteen in all. … and Private Elliott G. Walter were taken prisoners The regiment made a valiant and effective charge about five o'clock, and when the battle ceased, it closed its broken ranks and retired across the Chickahominy.“

I also found him in “History of Pennsylvania volunteers, 1861-5" by Samuel P. Bates and it says that Elliott Walter enlisted in 1861, was wounded and captured at Gaines Mill, and mustered out in 1864.

I found his PA state record on line “RG-19 Records of the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs REGISTERS OF PENNSYLVANIA VOLUNTEERS, 1861-1865. Volume 2: 11th Regiment, 23rd 3-year, 26-39th Regiments” and it shows him as a member of the “Co. E 39th PA Regiment 10th Reserves.” This records adds nothing to Bates as it just shows his enlistment in 1861 and that he was mustered out in 1864.

Ancestry.com has a picture of the cover of his pension record, but no details. I don’t know where he was taken after capture, or why he did not muster out for two years after his capture

Then I got totally confused! Elliott G. Walter was taken prisoner at Gaines Mill, yet on line there is a picture of the “39th infantry 10th Reserve” monument at Gettysburg, and his name is on it. I thought at first that they just put all of the names of the company enlistees on there, but I don’t see Reynard and Kieser above who were dead when Gettysburg happened. Is this monument a record of men who were there?! If so how did Walter get there if he was in prison?

So would anyone know why his name might be on the Gettysburg monument, or how long the captives after Gaines Mill were held by the Confederacy? I had always thought that if one was paroled it was on oath not to take up arms anymore, so why is he included on the Gettysburg monument? I had originally thought that his service must have ended with the capture, but now I am not so sure. Does anyone have ancestors in this unit and could anyone tell me what the Confederacy did with the Gaines Mill captives? Any Walter family cousins out there? :help:

Thanks so much from Al

Early in the war prisoners were exchanged/paroled with much more rapidity than later in the war. Not always but usually. This was especially the case with active campaigning. Neither army wanted to be bogged down with thousands of prisoners when they needed to march.

I would venture that this was the case here with your ancestor. He was probably paroled shortly after his capture and quickly exchanged thereby returning to his unit before Gettysburg.

Here are a couple of other soldiers who were captured at the Battle of Gaines Mill and their experiences from a quick search. Perhaps this will help.

Joshua F. Stone-4th New Jersey Infantry

http://www.dvrbs.com/People/CamdenPeople-JoshuaFishStone.htm

The 6th US Infantry

https://books.google.com/books?id=A...s exchanged after gaines mill battle?&f=false

Here are a couple of other soldiers who were captured at the Battle of Gaines Mill and their experiences from a quick search. Perhaps this will help

Yes is helps a lot and thanks.

I would be willing to bet now that since Elliott's name shows up on the 39th PA monument at Gettysburg but the names of the men killed at Gaines Mill do not, that he was there. I don't know, but at least the list of names on the monument is not just a list of everyone who was ever in the unit.

Hi all

Last night I ran across an old e-mail from a cousin that mentioned our uncle, Elliott Gardner Walter (Walter/Walters) being in the Civil War in the 39th PA Regiment. I had not remembered this, and started looking for his record. He enlisted in the “Clarion river Guards” in 1861, designated as part of both the 10th PA and the 39th PA. He was taken to Pittsburgh, then Cumberland, etc on to the Peninsula Campaign. I found out that he was wounded and captured at the Battle of Gaines Mill. A. J. Davis’ 1887 “History of Clarion County” has this:

“About half past three o'clock P.M., June 27,the company (E Co 10th / 39th PA) became engaged in the bloody battle of Gaines's Mill….. the …. following were wounded: …. Elliott G. Walter, … - fourteen in all. … and Private Elliott G. Walter were taken prisoners The regiment made a valiant and effective charge about five o'clock, and when the battle ceased, it closed its broken ranks and retired across the Chickahominy.“

I also found him in “History of Pennsylvania volunteers, 1861-5" by Samuel P. Bates and it says that Elliott Walter enlisted in 1861, was wounded and captured at Gaines Mill, and mustered out in 1864.

I found his PA state record on line “RG-19 Records of the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs REGISTERS OF PENNSYLVANIA VOLUNTEERS, 1861-1865. Volume 2: 11th Regiment, 23rd 3-year, 26-39th Regiments” and it shows him as a member of the “Co. E 39th PA Regiment 10th Reserves.” This records adds nothing to Bates as it just shows his enlistment in 1861 and that he was mustered out in 1864.

Ancestry.com has a picture of the cover of his pension record, but no details. I don’t know where he was taken after capture, or why he did not muster out for two years after his capture

Then I got totally confused! Elliott G. Walter was taken prisoner at Gaines Mill, yet on line there is a picture of the “39th infantry 10th Reserve” monument at Gettysburg, and his name is on it. I thought at first that they just put all of the names of the company enlistees on there, but I don’t see Reynard and Kieser above who were dead when Gettysburg happened. Is this monument a record of men who were there?! If so how did Walter get there if he was in prison?

So would anyone know why his name might be on the Gettysburg monument, or how long the captives after Gaines Mill were held by the Confederacy? I had always thought that if one was paroled it was on oath not to take up arms anymore, so why is he included on the Gettysburg monument? I had originally thought that his service must have ended with the capture, but now I am not so sure. Does anyone have ancestors in this unit and could anyone tell me what the Confederacy did with the Gaines Mill captives? Any Walter family cousins out there? :help:

Thanks so much from Al

"I had always thought that if one was paroled it was on oath not to take up arms anymore, so why is he included on the Gettysburg monument?" This was true, unless and until one was was "exchanged" for an enemy P.O.W. By this, I'd say Elliott was probably confined in Libby Prison until "exchanged." I agree, he was probably at Gettysburg !

- History of Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-1865:

Elliott G. Walter

Residence Clarion County PA;
Enlisted on 7/5/1861 as a Private.

On 7/5/1861 he mustered into "E" Co. PA 39th Infantry
He was Mustered Out on 6/11/1864 at Pittsburgh, PA

He was listed as:
* POW 6/27/1862 Gaines' Mill, VA
* Wounded 6/27/1862 Gaines' Mill, VA
........................................................................................
John L. Moore

Residence Beaver County PA;
Enlisted on 6/29/1861 as a 1st Lieutenant.

On 6/29/1861 he was commissioned into "F" Co. PA 39th Infantry
He was discharged for wounds on 1/21/1863

He was listed as:
* Wounded 6/27/1862 Gaines' Mill, VA (Severe wound in left leg, amputated)
* Exchanged 8/27/1862 (place not stated) (Exchanged for Col Adolphus Hughes 27 AL)
Intra Regimental Company Transfers:
* 10/30/1861 from company F to company K
.............................................................................................
Robert Campbell

Residence Beaver County PA;
Enlisted on 6/19/1861 as a Private.

On 6/19/1861 he mustered into "F" Co. PA 39th Infantry
He was Mustered Out on 6/11/1864 at Pittsburgh, PA
He was listed as:
* POW 6/27/1862 Gaines' Mill, VA (Confined at Libby prison, 6 months)
* Wounded 6/27/1862 Gaines' Mill, VA
Other Information:
born in 1842 in Beaver County,PA
(Parents: William and Emily Campbell. Wife: Sarah Todd.
Children: James,Lucy,Bert,Leonora,Ivy,Nellie.j
Lived in W Elizabeth,PA)
After the War he lived in West Elizabeth, PA
.......................................................................................................
PENNSYLVANIA
THIRTY-NINTH
(Three-Years)
Thirty-ninth Infantry. - Cols., John S. McCalmont, James
T. Kirk, Adoniram J. Warner; Lieut.-Cols., James T. Kirk,
Adoniram J. Warner James B. Knox, Ira Ayer, Jr., Majs.,
Harrison Allen, Sion B. Smith, Ira Ayer, Jr., C. Miller Over.
This was the 1Oth reserve regiment and was composed of men from
the western part of the state, who rendezvoused at Camp
Wilkins, Pittsburg. It left camp on July 18, 1861, for
Harrisburg, where it was mustered into the U. S. service on the
21st for a three years' term, and then moved to Washington. On
Aug. 1 it was sent to Tennallytown, and after a short service
at Great Falls was assigned to the 3d brigade. This brigade
made its winter quarters at Langley; fought at Dranesville in
December, was ordered to the Peninsula in the spring of 1862;
took part in the battles of Mechanicsville, Gaines' mill,
Glendale, the second Bull Run, South mountain, Antietam and
Fredericksburg and won many laurels. After Fredericksburg the
reserves were ordered to Washington to recuperate, and in June,
1863, side by side with its old comrades of the 3d brigade, the
38th fought at Gettysburg, afterward joining in the pursuit of
the enemy. The regiment remained with the Army of the Potomac
through the winter, took part in the Mine Run campaign , en-
gaged at the Wilderness in May, 1864 and then fought at
Spottsylvania, Totopotomoy, and Bethesda Church. Soon after
the last named action the veterans and recruits were trans-
ferred to the 190th and 191st Pa infantry and the regiment
returned to Pittsburgh, where it was mustered out on June 11,

Source: The Union Army, vol. 1

Hi all

Thanks so much from Al

Just as a by-the-way, I had several relatives just about a quarter mile to the east from your relative. They were all in the 16th New York.

R

* Wounded 6/27/1862 Gaines' Mill, VA (Severe wound in left leg, amputated)
* Exchanged 8/27/1862 (place not stated) (Exchanged for Col Adolphus Hughes 27 AL)

Thanks! this helps. I looked at that book on line but never thought of looking at other soldiers from that battle. Duh!

Just as a by-the-way, I had several relatives just about a quarter mile to the east from your relative. They were all in the 16th New York.

I'll bet your people and mine fought together in other places too. You know its funny about us Americans:

I like that old Charlie Daniels song "We might have done a little bit of fighting amongst ourselves but outside people best leave us alone cause we'll all stick together..." and so on. My wife had as many Civil War ancestors as I did ("ancestors" I use to mean uncles also) but to a man hers fought for the Confederacy and to a man mine fought for the Union. No wonder my kids fought like rebs and yanks when they were little..... I blame it on her people... :whistling:

Back