Elijah Boles 6th Regiment Alabama Cavalry (Fold3?)

rickvox79

First Sergeant
Could someone with Fold3 access take a look at (4th gen great-grandfather) Elijah Boles if possible? I found some info on Ancestry.com stating he served in the 6th Alabama Cavalry and wanted to see if there were more documents. I never even thought to look for him originally because he was born in 1808 so he would have been 53 when the war started. Would a man of that age serve back then? I would have thought that would be too old. Several of his sons served including my 3rd gen great-grandfather but I would have thought 53 would be way to old. He was a sheriff in the local town from what I've found out but still, that's pretty old to be signing up it seems.

Could someone with Fold3 access take a look at (4th gen great-grandfather) Elijah Boles if possible? I found some info on Ancestry.com stating he served in the 6th Alabama Cavalry and wanted to see if there were more documents. I never even thought to look for him originally because he was born in 1808 so he would have been 53 when the war started. Would a man of that age serve back then? I would have thought that would be too old. Several of his sons served including my 3rd gen great-grandfather but I would have thought 53 would be way to old. He was a sheriff in the local town from what I've found out but still, that's pretty old to be signing up it seems.

I had a relative in Tennessee that went in as a replacement for someone in Feb.1863 at about the same age. He was captured and died at Camp Morton, Indiana. Their's only 2 file cards for Elijah Boles with the 6th Ala Cav. His name on the muster role and one showing where he was surrendered and paroled at Meridian, Miss. May 9, 1865. Say's he was from Coffee County. They weren't organized till spring, 1863 . This was after the conscription laws so they may have taken him if he was in generally good health ! I think the final cut-off age was 50.

I had a relative in Tennessee that went in as a replacement for someone in Feb.1863 at about the same age. He was captured and died at Camp Morton, Indiana. Their's only 2 file cards for Elijah Boles with the 6th Ala Cav. His name on the muster role and one showing where he was surrendered and paroled at Meridian, Miss. May 9, 1865. Say's he was from Coffee County. They weren't organized till spring, 1863 . This was after the conscription laws so they may have taken him if he was in generally good health ! I think the final cut-off age was 50.

Thank you for the update. Yes, he was from Coffee County so that sounds like him most likely. One of his sons (my 3rd Gen Great-Gfather) was in the 53rd Alabama Partisan Rangers and signed up in early 1862 I believe. Very nice to find out new information!

Adding to EastTennesseeRoots info, the card states:
Elijah Boles, Pvt, Co A 6 Regt Ala Cav​
Residence: Coffee County, Ala​
"Appears on a Role of Prisoners of War​
of divers companies and regiments (detached) of​
the Confederate States Army, commanded by​
Capt. W. C. Winston, surrendered at Citronelle,​
___ , by Lieut. Gen. R. Taylor, C. S. A., to​
Maj. Gen. E. R. S. Canby, U. S. A., May 4,​
1865, and paroled at Meridian, Miss., May 9,​
1865.​
Roll dated Meridian, Miss., May 9, 1865."​

In the same regiment there was also a George W. Bowles (Boles) of Jackson County. Possible relative?

Adding to EastTennesseeRoots info, the card states:
Elijah Boles, Pvt, Co A 6 Regt Ala Cav​
Residence: Coffee County, Ala​
"Appears on a Role of Prisoners of War​
of divers companies and regiments (detached) of​
the Confederate States Army, commanded by​
Capt. W. C. Winston, surrendered at Citronelle,​
___ , by Lieut. Gen. R. Taylor, C. S. A., to​
Maj. Gen. E. R. S. Canby, U. S. A., May 4,​
1865, and paroled at Meridian, Miss., May 9,​
1865.​
Roll dated Meridian, Miss., May 9, 1865."​

In the same regiment there was also a George W. Bowles (Boles) of Jackson County. Possible relative?

Yeah his oldest son was George W Boles which would have been my great-great-great uncle. My great-great grandfather George W Boles (born 1867) was named after him. Did you find a muster role with George W Boles on it? I found something on ancestry that said George W tried to get a pension but was denied because he wasn't on the roles and that he appealed it.

Yeah his oldest son was George W Boles which would have been my great-great-great uncle. My great-great grandfather George W Boles (born 1867) was named after him. Did you find a muster role with George W Boles on it? I found something on ancestry that said George W tried to get a pension but was denied because he wasn't on the roles and that he appealed it.

Only 3 cards in George's file. The only one with any info says he took the oath, April 21, 1865. Volunteered April 14, 1863. " deserted " April 17, 1865. That's probably why he was turned down for a pension. He's described as from Jackson County, Ala. fair complexion, blue eyes. dark hair, and 5' 11." I'd guess the Federal Army listed all Confederates who voluntarily surrendered as " deserters. " At least that's the impression I have from other similar records I've seen. He like many others, just grew tired of war !

Bumping this old thread on my 4th great grandfather because I'm looking for some more information if possible. I found a newspaper article from his hometown indicating Elijah Boles fought in the Indian Wars. I was just wanting to see if Fold3 had any info that ancestry.com might not have on it. He would have been from Coffee or Dale county Alabama at the time. I found this obituary stating he served in the Indian War.

I wasn't sure if fold3 might have some more info that I can't see since I'm not a premium member there.

upload_2017-5-3_10-39-24.png

Back