Period Egg Cutlets

This is from Breakfast, Luncheon & Tea by a very prolific author of cookbooks of the 19th century, Marion Harland. I found it on the link @nitrofd provided earlier today. It's from 1875, so a little later than the Civil War, but still has an amazing wealth of recipes and household advice.

View attachment 111604
That site is like finding buried treasure,who knows what we shall find as we explore what is there for us to see.

That site is like finding buried treasure,who knows what we shall find as we explore what is there for us to see.
I was just looking at the site and I saw one that has my interest.it is a cookbook called the "EPICUREAN".,IT was published in1894 by the head chef of "DELMONICOS"in N.Y.C..it has over 3000 recipes from the restaurant 800 illustrations and it is 1183 pages long.it also has 400 seasonal diner menus,all of these are from 1862 thru 1894.I have not downloaded it yet but was looking at a few pages on their viewer.

It's like mining for food wisdom! So many great little nuggets of food history and interesting recipes. The egg cutlets sort of reminded a little of Scotch eggs. I'm tempted to try this recipe to see how they turn out and what it tastes like, too!

This is from Breakfast, Luncheon & Tea by a very prolific author of cookbooks of the 19th century, Marion Harland. I found it on the link @nitrofd provided earlier today. It's from 1875, so a little later than the Civil War, but still has an amazing wealth of recipes and household advice.

View attachment 111604
On the other site I posted today"vintage recipes" I put in the search engine egg cutlets and this recipe popped up.it is from Mrs.Wilson's cook book (1920).
6 level tsp. of flour
1 cup milk
2 hard cooked eggs chopped fine
2 tbs fine chopped parsley
1 tbs finely chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp salt
1tsp paprika
1/4 cup fine read crumbs
Make a cream sauce.Disolve the flour in the milk and then bring it to a boil,cook for5mins and then cool and place in a bowl.Add eggs,parslet,onion,salt,paprika,and bread crumbs.mix and then pour on a well greased platter.cool for four hours.
To mold,for into shape and then dip inflour,then in beaten egg, and then in fine bread crumbs.fry until golden brown in hot fat or veggie oil.serve with tomato sauce.

Back