1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

ECHOES OF THE BLUE AND GRAY, DVD...

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by godofredus, Jul 25, 2013.

1. godofredus

godofredus Sergeant Major

Parts of this DVD have been posted on youtube. I got a copy from the Civil War Museum / Museum of the Confederacy in New Orleans. It was originally on tape, then re-issued on DVD.
    Full specs are,
    Echoes of the Blue and Gray Vols I and II
    Veterans of the Civil War on DVD
    copyright 2003
    Belle Grove Publishing Co
    P.O. Box 483 Kearny N.J.07032
    Running time 110 minutes

Some pieces you have undoubtedly seen on Ken Burns, here they are longer and properly identified in many cases.
    The GAR funeral always makes me cry. A dozen or so old men saying the last good bye to one of their friends....You have to be made of stone, I think, not to grieve with them...

JCM6395 and JerseyBart like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. bdietzler73

bdietzler73 Sergeant

I just bought and watched this. What an amazing DVD. It's hard not to be sad to see these veterans walking around and in some cases talking and realize that they are all gone. What I wouldn't have given to be born back in the time when I could have talked to a Civil War veteran and learned all about the war from him.

This is a must see video for anyone interested in the Civil War.

4. JCM6395

JCM6395 Sergeant

This sounds like a really cool DVD. I will have to get it. I was reading up on some of the GAR Posts that were around the area I live. One kind of got me. An old vet was writing to the Indianapolis HQ in 1923 saying how he is the last one left....he can barely see or hear....and was mailing in his books to the HQ. He stated how the regimental flag was turned over to the World War 1 vets post. I just had this guy pictured writing this stuff in a empty GAR Post by himself. Kind of sad. Its like the WW 2 generation passing on now.

5. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Thanks! I do appreciate anything like this I can use in my classroom. And this sounds like an amazing DVD that will provide lots of conversation topics with the kids.

6. Wilder72IN

Wilder72IN Private

I'll have to look into this. It sounds really interesting, and I'm glad at least some of it is up on YouTube before I try to go wrangle the DVD.

7. godofredus

godofredus Sergeant Major

To add a couple of notes to my original post: this DVD consists of two separate videos assembled at different times. Some of the same visuals are included in both.
    The worst thing about the first part is that it includes a couple of minutes of Walter Williams funeral, allegedly the last surviving Confederate veteran, when he was just a great story teller.

See Wiki:

The final veterans of the Confederate States armed forces died in the 1950s. There were a number of claimants to the title.

Name​
    Claimed birth date​
    Believed birth date​
    Death date​
    Status​
    Pleasant Crump December 23, 1847 December 31, 1951 Verified
    Felix M. Witkoski 5 January 1850 October 1854 3 February 1952 Debunked
    Thomas Edwin Ross 19 July 1850 27 March 1952 Unknown
    Richard William Cumpston 23 May 1841 5 September 1952 No evidence
    William Loudermilk[1] 23 October 1848 April 1851[2] 18 September 1952 No evidence
    William Jordan Bush[3][4] 10 July 1845 July 1846 11 November 1952 Probable
    Arnold Murray 10 June 1846 1854/1855 26 November 1952 Debunked
    William Townsend[3][5] 12 April 1846 22 February 1953 Possible
    William Albert Kinney 10 February 1843 10 February 1861 23 June 1953 Debunked
    Thomas Riddle 16 April 1846 1862[6] 2 April 1954 No evidence
    William Lundy 18 January 1848 May 1860 1 September 1957 Debunked
    John B. Salling[7] 15 May 1846 15 May 1856 16 March 1959 Debunked
    Walter Williams 14 November 1842 14 November 1854 19 December 1959 Debunked

Most cases are questionable, though many Confederate records were destroyed or lost to history.

There are a lot of videos / tv tape floating around of the last Union vet, Albert Woolson, but he only rates a minute or so on this DVD.

If you are going to use it in a class, be careful and time it. I don't know if a class could sit still the whole 55 minutes or so of each section.

8. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

We probably would skip around, as we usually do. Heh. I use Walter Williams to caution the students not to believe everything they find on the internet. :smile:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)