Earthworks and Fortifications

The Scale of that work is Huge!
Just goes to show that the engineers really worked their a*s off! Though infantrymen often had to dig their own earthworks and chop down trees to make abatis, headlogs, etc. Often they had to just dig with their bayonets, caps, bare hands and whatever else they could use because there weren't enough shovels and picks to go around.

Last edited:
Just goes to show that the engineers really worked their a*s off! Though the common infantry private had to dig his own earthworks and chop down trees to make abates. Often they had to just dig with their bayonets, caps, bare hands and whatever else they could use because not too many shovels and picks were around.

Guess I woulda been digging,too!

AUG351 I forgot to say thanks for posting all these. As Engineers we love 'em. Lots of new ones for me to use on our website. Much appreciated pard.
Essayons!

Reactions: AUG
We built a couple of gab ions as a training exercise last year. You'd be surprised at how much work one is. When I look at the thousands of them in various earthworks it boggles my mind. Building a sap roller out of fanciness ahd to be a PITA. Huge props to the fellas who did them day after day. Essayons Engineers!

3996064756_818e49a568_b.jpg

PS: AUG351 As much as I have researched the Engineers, I have not seen several of those photos. Much appreciated.

We built a couple of gab ions as a training exercise last year. You'd be surprised at how much work one is. When I look at the thousands of them in various earthworks it boggles my mind. Building a sap roller out of fanciness ahd to be a PITA. Huge props to the fellas who did them day after day. Essayons Engineers!
Yes, is must have taken a lot of people + a lot of hands digging, digging, and more digging. Just looking at them makes my back hurt. I can't imagine, or simply don't want to, trying to dig such works at some place like Vicksburg or Atlanta in the summer heat, baking in the sun, all while under fire from artillery or sharpshooters!

Yes, is must have taken a lot of people + a lot of hands digging, digging, and more digging. Just looking at them makes my back hurt. I can't imagine, or simply don't want to, trying to dig such works at some place like Vicksburg or Atlanta in the summer heat, baking in the sun, all while under fire from artillery or sharpshooters!
Digging is only the half of it. We found out that cutting and weaving the withes into the basket shape was a time consuming task too. Then they have to be placed and then filled. Building a sap roller is an even bigger task. We are hoping to do one in the spring.

I'll have to find the source again, but I've seen this photo labelled as taken at Richmond near Fort Harrison during the Richmond-Petersburg Campaign. But its a great example of a line of breastworks with log revetments and loopholes constructed with sandbags.

Also went back and fixed some of those photos in the OP that weren't showing up.

I created this thread so people could have a picture of what common terms like abatis, breastworks, traverses, embrasures, saps, gabions, etc. looked like. Many times we read these terms without knowing what the heck they are talking about, so I thought I would gather some photographs of these designs and point out what I see.

Nice work, @AUG351,

I once heard someone refer to a particular ACW fortification defense as an 'above ground punji stick emplacement'

:O o:

Should've been wearing a kevlar, cause that pretty much blew my mind.

Nice work, @AUG351,

I once heard someone refer to a particular ACW fortification defense as an 'above ground punji stick emplacement'

:O o:

Should've been wearing a kevlar, cause that pretty much blew my mind.
Ha! Sounds like they were talking about fraises, abatis or cheval-de-frise. Of course their main purpose was more so as an obstacle rather than to kill or maim, however, I'm sure some unfortunate soldier was shot or tripped just as he was stepping over and.... ouch!

PonderHouse_Atlanta1864.jpg

Digging is only the half of it. We found out that cutting and weaving the withes into the basket shape was a time consuming task too. Then they have to be placed and then filled. Building a sap roller is an even bigger task. We are hoping to do one in the spring.

Brings about a new appreciation to HESCO baskets and jersey barriers, huh?

pl2505035-hesco_barrier_hesco_bastion_hesco_fence_hesco_mesh_container.jpg

Ha! Sounds like they were talking about fraises, abatis or cheval-de-frise. Of course their main purpose was more so as an obstacle rather than to kill or maim, however, I'm sure some unfortunate soldier was shot or tripped just as he was stepping over and.... ouch!

The former are all field obstacles, and you are correct. They are intended to cause disruptions in the attack and to redirect or slow troops or horses and put them in a vulnerable position favorable to the defenders. Maiming was not the intent of these particular items. For that you need stone fougasse or trous de loups each of which is more of a static defensive weapon intended to inflict injury.

Last edited:
These are fascinating photos. I'm struck by two contrasts. In some of the photos, the countryside appears totally denuded of vegetation. I suppose it's no wonder, given the amount of wood that went into some of these fortifications. In other photos, there is quite a bit of standing timber in spite of an incredible amount of wooden fortification. That, in itself, is amazing.

Very interesting photos. It is also surprising that many of the earth works are above ground level and not trenches as such. I would love to see how they compare to other 19th century fortifications?

Back