Early photo of Railroad Redoubt and Second Texas Lunette

Vicksburger

First Sergeant
VBG- RRR 7 STL.jpg

Found this neat old photo of the Railroad redoubt area and the Hebrew Cemetery ( where the Second Texas Lunette was located). The detail is not as good as I would like, but it is still interesting. I think I can see the old Baldwin's Ferry road was. I can see the railroad on the left. I can't tell if the monuments were set when this photo was taken. The photo comes from "Illinois at Vicksburg" published I am guessing between 1900 and 1910.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love photos of this vintage. I can't give much info, but I found what appears to be a full scan of the book, published in 1907 or 1908 (see a couple different dates.) Here is a link to the book:

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/isl7/id/3842

EDIT: I just located the picture on page 82 at that link with a closeup of the caption. It indicates the picture shows the "Marker of the 97th Illinois on the left; of the 77th on top of Confederate works and of the 130th at base of same, in the positions occupied by these commands in the assault of May 22nd. To the right of the Railroad are the Markers of the 93rd Illinois...." Other markers indicated are 33rd and 99th (though 99th is hidden by the cemetery.)

Last edited:
Back