lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
longstreet.jpg

"James Longstreet in Winter" Dale Gallon https://inhonoredglory.wordpress.com/2012/02/page/3/

Who knew? On August 5, 1865, James Longstreet was ambushed and an attempt was made on his life by a drunk man near White Plains AL* (near Oxford AL)? Ok, maybe I haven't done my homework on what happened to Confederate Generals after the surrender at Appomattox? I suppose I thought the surrendered Confederate army just packed up their belongings and went on home. Seems there was plenty happening as they made their way home. Has any one ever heard of this before?

I found this diary of Thomas J. Goree by accident while searching for something else. 1st Lieutenant Thomas J Goree was Aide de Camp to James Longstreet, appointed Dec 31, 1861. The diary begins June 26, 1865 at Lynchburg, VA and follows Longstreet's travels through August 6, 1865 at Talladega, AL. Fascinating!

August 3d. Left camp early this morning. Stopped to noon 2 miles east of Dallas (Ga). Passed this morning within 2 miles of the New Hope battle ground. The country for several miles east of Marietta to Dallas has been made almost a complete waste. The fencing all destroyed and all the best houses burned. It will take many many years for the country to recover its former prosperity. Travelled on this evening through the town of Dallas towards Van Wirt travelled over a rough moun- tainous Country. Fell in during the evening with Major Byrd, formerly Quarter Master of Wofford's Brigade. At his in- vitiation I rode in his ambulance and had my horse led. We camped a little more than three miles from Van Wirt. The Maj had along a very large nice water- melon which we enjoyed very much. We were joined to night by a Mr Thompson of California, an acquaintance of Mr Wm Longstreets (brother of Genl Longstreet) who proposes travelling with the party to Mississippi.

August 4th. Passed this morning thro Van Wirt, a small dilapidated looking place. Stopped here with Maurice to have horses shoes fixed. Others went on. Maj Byrd left us here. Shop Caught up with the party about 11 o clock, stopped to noon near the house of Mr Gomez. Bought oats from him for horses. The Genl, Mr L and myself took dinner with him. He had a son there who resides in Rusk Co Texas. After leaving Mr G's travelled 8 miles and camped near Judge Hutchings'. Horses had corn & good pasture. Mrs H send us down some nice milk. Mr Thompson has something the matter with his eye and is suffering very much with it.

Aug 5th. Got a very early start this morning Travelled 16 miles before stopping to noon. Stopped near a house- had a ham boiled and bought 5 chickens, which we had fried. We travelled this evening to within 21/2 miles of White Plains. 2 or 3 miles before reaching Camp. Genl Longstreet who was behind in the ambulance was accosted by a drunken man who wished him to drink with him and wanted also to trade his horse for a mule. On Genl L's refusal he rode off but before a great while he overtook the ambulance again and with a cocked pistol in his hand ordered the driver of the ambulance to stoppe. He then put his pistol inside as if endeavouring to shoot the Genl. When the Genl seized the pis- tol & wrenched it from him, where upon the man put spurs to his horse and made away as fast as possible. The Genl will report the circumstance to the Yankees and try & have them arrest him...... http://digital.library.shsu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p243coll3/id/2993

That guy must've been pretty intoxicated! Who would be stupid enough to try and shoot General Longstreet - with no cavalry or artillery support? :bounce::frantic::bounce:

Edit to Add: After re-reading the diary, it seems that this incident took place 2 1/2 miles from White Plains, AL which is near present day Anniston/Oxford AL. The incident was reported to Federal authorities at Oxford where there was a garrison. I have edited the original post to reflect the correct location. @War Horse had you ever heard of this?

Attachments

• longstreet.jpg
    longstreet.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
It is !

I've never heard about this incident. It seems more like an 1865 failed carjacking rather than an
attempted assassination.
Hahaha! Failed wagon-jacking? Apparently, the drunk guy just really wanted to swap off his horse for a mule?

Drunken wagon-jacking.

:rofl:
FDWJAAw/oAS - Failed drunken wagon-jacking assassination attempt ......w/o artillery support. :rofl::rofl::rofl::bounce::bounce::bounce:

ETA: Maybe I should change the title of the thread?:rofl:

EATA: What an idiot! Who tries to shoot James Longstreet? Single-handed? I mean after all he'd been through, its a wonder he didn't jerk the drunken marauder right off his horse and pinch his head off.

Last edited:
What an idiot! Who tries to shoot James Longstreet? Single-handed? I mean after all he'd been through, its a wonder he didn't jerk the drunken marauder right off his horse and pinch his head off.
All I can think about is what would Forrest do in such a situation ? :bounce:

I've reached the same conclusion in all possible scenarios . . . it wouldn't have been too good for the drunk wagon-jacker.

I was out near White Plains one day last week and couldn't help wondering exactly where the attempted assassination of Longstreet took place. I've never heard of the incident before and am now curious. Anyone else found any additional info?

Great story! Guns and drunks... :x3:

There were lots of incidents involving post war violence toward the ex-Confederates...some of whom weren't exactly ex. D H Hill was very vocal about keeping the Southern point of view in the historical record and was not shy about opposing Reconstruction or saying he was still a good ol' rebel. Which is how his 8 year old son came to be shot by drunk soldiers for being his son. "Hey, there's Gen Hill's boy - let's scare him!" Pow! If they'd known he was also Stonewall Jackson's nephew they might have shot him again for getting up!

All I can think about is what would Forrest do in such a situation ? :bounce:

I've reached the same conclusion in all possible scenarios . . . it wouldn't have been too good for the drunk wagon-jacker.

:laugh: When he was constable of De Soto county he was bringing in a witness for a trial when the defendant in the trial bushwhacked them with a shotgun and killed the witness. He swung the other barrel into Forrest's chest, and found his nose stuck in the barrel of Forrest's pistol! "You better be sure," he advised. Nope, wasn't...only had bird shot left... After the war, though, Willie was shot at but missed - never too clear if he was even the intended target, either.

Longstreet did travel with Goree after the surrender. I've read Goree was very found of Longstreet and stayed with him much longer than he intended. I suppose out of loyalty and love for his former commander. I've never heard of this story. I like it don't get me wrong. I would surmise that had a man ridden up to an ambulance transporting the General with a pistol drawn he would have been shot dead before he ever reached it. I could be wrong but I've read much of Goree's memoirs where I could find them and this story has never before been included. Great story @lelliott19 thank you for sharing.

I could be wrong but I've read much of Goree's memoirs where I could find them and this story has never before been included. Great story @lelliott19 thank you for sharing.
Maybe Goree wrote a longer version of his memoirs later? This seems to be a diary all in original handwriting with a text transcription. You can switch between the handwritten version and the text via the tab at top left.

Here's the link to the diary entries referenced in the OP where the story came from
http://digital.library.shsu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p243coll3/id/2993

Last edited:
:laugh: That's one handed, too - his right arm was paralyzed!
Fearless as his men always described him. Think of the nerve it took to lead his milita (Metropolitan Police) against the white league considering his physical limitations. The man did not know the meaning of the word fear!

Last edited:
Back