Does this say what I think it says

Anyone who digs into his family history much is likely to find all sorts of things he wishes he hadn't known. It goes with the territory. My Rock Island ancestor didn't galvanize, but he came back to Texas and joined the Klan here during a particularly violent time during Reconstruction -- which, to my thinking, is substantially worse than galvanizing. I'd rather that hadn't been the case, but you have to take the bad with the good.
Indeed - haven't found anything cringe-worthy myself, but I haven't dug all that far

I was wondering if there were any galvanized confederates, or were they given the same offer to switch sides?

Fighting Indians was more like garrison duty and marching around now and then. No stroll in the park, but better than PoW camp and shooting at your friends and relatives.

Chances are he was in one of the fortlets "guarding" trails West. The Comanches were left alone to plague Texas.

I met a guy In a leafy little village in Devon UK and he was related to Wyatt Earp...I only found out because I had to deliver a parcel to a Mr Earp, so I asked him if he was related to 'The Wyatt Earp' and he told me his story...I know its not ACW related but it was interesting just the same.

Waterloo

I dont know why the SCV would turn up their noses at Galvanized men.

The soldier serves the CSA honorably then gets captured. He is then told he can spend the rest of the war in a disease infested prison or put on a new uniform and not raise a hand in any way against his former comrades, and go patrol the frontier.

Most of the Galvanized Yankees sent west served in the 1st - 6th United States Volunteer Infantry. I don't subscribe to Fold3 but the name Jesse Sutton popped up there in a google search. I could make out that individual served in Company G, 3rd United States Volunteer Infantry. The 3rd US served in the Colorado and Nebraska Territories during the 1865 Colorado War that followed the Sand Creek Massacre (November 29, 1864). Company G appears to have been assigned to Fort Sedgwick, Julesburg, Colorado Territory. As @redbob noted above Dee Brown's The Galvanized Yankees is an excellent resource.

Most of the Galvanized Yankees sent west served in the 1st - 6th United States Volunteer Infantry. I don't subscribe to Fold3 but the name Jesse Sutton popped up there in a google search. I could make out that individual served in Company G, 3rd United States Volunteer Infantry. The 3rd US served in the Colorado and Nebraska Territories during the 1865 Colorado War that followed the Sand Creek Massacre (November 29, 1864). Company G appears to have been assigned to Fort Sedgwick, Julesburg, Colorado Territory. As @redbob noted above Dee Brown's The Galvanized Yankees is an excellent resource.
Good stuff. Thanks for that info. Didn't find any of that at Fold3.

Thanks. Found this at NPS.

http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-...oldierId=41AF2BD7-DC7A-DF11-BF36-B8AC6F5D926A

I don't subscribe to Fold3 but the name Jesse Sutton popped up there in a google search. I could make out that individual served in Company G, 3rd United States Volunteer Infantry.
Where did you find that? I didn't get that with a google search of "Jesse Sutton".

Got his Military Service Record from the National Archives yesterday. He enlisted on May 15,1862 and mustered in in June 1862. He was promoted to Sergeant on March 1,1863. The records show that he got one furlough during his time of service for 25 days beginning on February 20,1864. He was captured at Dallas ,GA on May 28,1864 by troops with the Union 15th Army Corps. He was sent to the Military Prison in Louisville,Kentucky where he arrived on June 6,1864. He was discharged from there on June 7,1864 and sent to Rock Island Barracks,Illinois where he arrived on June 9,1864. He was held captive there until October 31,1864 when he enlisted in the US Army for frontier service. He became what is known as a "galvanized Yankee" and was transferred to an unassigned US Volunteer Infantry Regiment according to the National Park Service Civil War Records.

Being captured at Dalton,GA probably saved his life. The 6th Florida Infantry Regiment was engaged in the Battles of Franklin,Nashville and Bentonville afterwards.

Back