Does anyone know which Regiment these captured Confederates (Day 1 Gettysburg I think) belonged to ?

Rio Bravo

First Sergeant
Initially I thought they were Texans, but now I am guessing they are Mississipians belonging to the 2nd Mississippi and captured by Rufus Dawes' 6th Wisconsin in the railway cut on day 1 at Gettysburg.
Does anyone know for sure which Regt they are from ? Rio
3 Captured Confederates.jpg

"The reality is we know for certain very little as fact the rest is conjecture. What we know for sure is the picture was taken by Matthew Brady (or likely one of his assistants) at Gettysburg. Thanks to William Frassanito we know where on the battlefield it was taken but after that it gets dicey. The date is given as "on or about July 15, 1863". This is deduced by the time Matthew Brady and his asssitants were at Gettysburg and when they were in that area of the battlefield. So the date of July 15, 1863 is not 100% for sure...high nineties probably but not 100."

courtesy of an old post by Cumpston1862

Initially I thought they were Texans, but now I am guessing they are Mississipians belonging to the 2nd Mississippi and captured by Rufus Dawes' 6th Wisconsin in the railway cut on day 1 at Gettysburg.
Does anyone know for sure which Regt they are from ? RioView attachment 73484
johan - thanks for your reply. They look in too good condition to be stragglers ! But they are NC troops which is what I wanted to know ! Rio

The date and their good condition leads me to believe they were captured earlier than the 15th and were probably part of a work detail. They definitely look too good (and proud) to be deserters or stragglers.

I tend to agree with johan on them being stragglers, possibly deserters. I think its a pretty good chance they were with a NC unit judging by what looks to be a NC depot jacket in the pic, and also a fair gamble they were at Chancellorsville, judging from the amount of new, clean Union gear, from shirts, haversacks, canteens, to knapsacks and the Black brimmed hat worn by the soldier in the middle. Many Union knapsacks were left laying in the Union camps after the Confederates swept through the area and down the line. This would explain their clean Union gear and the straggler theory would explain why its still clean after Gettysburg. I've heard this was taken between the 5th and 15th of July. I'm not sure nor would I dare to bet on the actual date.

Last edited:
I know one or two of them have been tentatively identified as men from NC, but it's my impression that Eastern Theater troops were far more likely to be in regular uniform, other than headgear.

I know one or two of them have been tentatively identified as men from NC, but it's my impression that Eastern Theater troops were far more likely to be in regular uniform, other than headgear.
Thats a valid assessment but I'd also be willing to believe if they'd come across a nice clean set of cloths, gear and underwear that they wouldn't hesitate to use it. We have no idea of whats in the knapsacks. Thats one that could go either way IMO.

Thats a valid assessment but I'd also be willing to believe if they'd come across a nice clean set of cloths, gear and underwear that they wouldn't hesitate to use it. We have no idea of whats in the knapsacks. Thats one that could go either way IMO.
Yeah, I have no doubt these guys did a bit--quite a bit--of scrounging along the way. :smile coffee:

Yeah, I have no doubt these guys did a bit--quite a bit--of scrounging along the way. :smile coffee:
Yes sir. I believe they didn't hesitate for a second to take as much as they could carry, lol. I can't say that I would have either. I doubt those Union soldiers were coming back for it and it was far to nice to leave on the field.

Judging from their haversacks they must weigh 10lbs each. A far cry from what most think when picturing a Confederate soldier that far from home.

It depends on the unit and when they were last issued new uniforms. Though all three in this photo are wearing uniforms, but two without their jacket on.

It depends on the unit and when they were last issued new uniforms. Though all three in this photo are wearing uniforms, but two without their jacket on.
Indeed. The gentleman on the far left also seems to be carrying what might be a NC depot jacket. Hard to tell though.

Last edited:
I would have expected them to be wearing depot jackets. I mean, these guys really look "western" to me. A long time ago, I saw the image in a book and the caption said they were some of Hood's Texans.

I would have expected them to be wearing depot jackets. I mean, these guys really look "western" to me. A long time ago, I saw the image in a book and the caption said they were some of Hood's Texans.
Based on other photos and depictions of Eastern theater Confederates, these guys don't look particularly "western" to me.

Now THIS is what Army of Tennessee Confederates typically looked like. Photo of AoT prisoners at Camp Douglas, ca. 1864:
prigionieri28.jpg

Based on other photos and depictions of Eastern theater Confederates, these guys don't look particularly "western" to me.

Now THIS is what Army of Tennessee Confederates typically looked like. Photo of AoT prisoners at Camp Douglas, ca. 1864:
prigionieri28.jpg
And the guys in the G'burg picture could be from this regiment based on looks alone. These guys are probably from Missionary Ridge, where they would have had time to re-oufit with newer uniforms. Generally, my impression of Western troops is that they tended to discard regular uniforms in favor of homespun sent to them from wives, mothers, sisters, etc.

And the guys in the G'burg picture could be from this regiment based on looks alone. These guys are probably from Missionary Ridge, where they would have had time to re-oufit with newer uniforms. Generally, my impression of Western troops is that they tended to discard regular uniforms in favor of homespun sent to them from wives, mothers, sisters, etc.
I've read that those in the Camp Douglas photo could be Texans - maybe from Granbury's or Ector's Brigades - and as you said possibly captured at Chattanooga. But those in the Gettysburg photo look like they could indeed be from a North Carolina regiment, imo.

As for discarding uniforms, it depended on who, when, and where. After the fall of Vicksburg Texas troops and others who's homes were west of the Mississippi would have a hard time receiving anything sent from home. Earlier in the war discarding uniforms for homespun stuff might have been more common practice, but as the war went on I think that would have been discouraged.... with the exception of the Trans-Mississippi.

Last edited:
Back