Does anyone else "read" the Civil War using text to speech?

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
I use the text to speech function on my iphone to read my e-books when I drive. I wonder if anyone else does.

The text to speech function is called voiceover and it can be activated by telling Siri to "Turn on voiceover" or by going through the accessibility functions in settings. You turn it off by saying "Turn off Voiceover." Make sure you remember how to turn it off or you will be driven crazy.

I find this lets me get in an extra five hours of reading each week. Just wanted to know if other folks use it as well.

Kindle used to have text to speech, but newer versions done have it.

I've never tried that but I will today!!

I have been working through the excellent CivilWarTalk Radio podcasts for the past few weeks which obviously need no voice over. :smile:

I have been working through the excellent CivilWarTalk Radio podcasts for the past few weeks which obviously need no voice over. :smile:
Yup. When I first found the archive for those, I listened to four or five a week until I got through all of them.

I have seen it, but must admit have not used it. Although what I have seen is to pay extra for a Kindle book for audio on my kindle, but haven't used it. I have the "old fashion" audio book on CD that I listen to in the car. But, agreed it does allow for extra reading time, mine being anywhere from 6-10 hours/week

Make sure you know how to turn it off before you try it or you will go crazy.

Yes, I've been using it for a few years on the Kindle Fire HD- Amazon stopped making it. If this one stopped working I'd buy another on eBay. Best tablet for the price ever, the ' updated ' version is around 500.00, crazy. You don't have to turn it on or off, just use the option on the bottom of the page when turning to a book, super easy. I've listened to dozens of Civil War books- it's a ' cyber ' voice but who cares? Works on the newer books too unless the publisher disables it. Some do I guess because they prefer to sell you the official Audio version read by a narrator.

Eric's books, the new book by Don Caughey on the 6th US Cavalry, Scott Mingus's ' Flames Beyond Gettysburg ", all the usual books like " All For The Union ", " Lincoln's Speeches And Letters ", all those free Kindle Civil War books ( which you can't believe are free ), listened to all of them. Super for the car or just for busy work around the house. Only problem is sometimes it isn't loud enough? We buy the little $15. speakers works very well.

I don't know how well I would do with a robotic voice reading to me -- I've been spoiled by good narrators and good audiobooks -- but it sounds like something to try. How would you go about doing this on a PC?

--though I do have (or did have) a Kindle option on this computer that might allow me to pile on the Gutenberg or the DocSouth books.

I'm quite sure I couldn't listen to a robotic voice. My father was a drama professor, and I was raised from an early age to put lots of expression into my reading. Judging from my experiences in college classes with boring professors, a robotic voice would undoubtedly put me to sleep. That could be quite disastrous on the road!

Of course, as we say in other fields of endeavor, Your Mileage May Vary!

I'm quite sure I couldn't listen to a robotic voice. My father was a drama professor, and I was raised from an early age to put lots of expression into my reading. Judging from my experiences in college classes with boring professors, a robotic voice would undoubtedly put me to sleep. That could be quite disastrous on the road!

Of course, as we say in other fields of endeavor, Your Mileage May Vary!
Good warning!

Is there a comparable feature on an android phone?

I am currently working through the The Civil War A history podcast. Will have to try out that CivilWarTalk radio one after this.

Is there a comparable feature on an android phone?

I am currently working through the The Civil War A history podcast. Will have to try out that CivilWarTalk radio one after this.

Jamieva I actually have been listening to both of those podcasts the last few weeks. They are very different.

The Civil War A History Podcast, as you know is two people that to me sound like they are reading from a script, lecturing about different ACW topics.

Civil War Talk Radio is a bit more engaging in my opinion. The host, Gerry Prokopowicz is a professor who engagingly discusses civil war topics mostly with ACW authors and NPS historians. So this show is more like Larry King live but about Civil War topics.

The shows website is http://www.impedimentsofwar.org

Both are good though.

Jamieva I actually have been listening to both of those podcasts the last few weeks. They are very different.

The Civil War A History Podcast, as you know is two people that to me sound like they are reading from a script, lecturing about different ACW topics.

Civil War Talk Radio is a bit more engaging in my opinion. The host, Gerry Prokopowicz is a professor who engagingly discusses civil war topics mostly with ACW authors and NPS historians. So this show is more like Larry King live but about Civil War topics.

The shows website is http://www.impedimentsofwar.org

Both are good though.

Yes the married couple is reading a script to fit the topic they are working on. Their scripting is good and they are conveying good information. Their work on the buildup to the war was extensive. I just cannot stand his voice for an extended period of time.

Yes the married couple is reading a script to fit the topic they are working on. Their scripting is good and they are conveying good information. Their work on the buildup to the war was extensive. I just cannot stand his voice for an extended period of time.
CivilWarTalk Radio is a great place to decide on which books you want to read. The author interviews last about 45 minutes and give a good sense of the book.

Maybe someday whenever I get a cell phone, Kindle, tablet, or any other "mobile device" I'll have to try it!

Edit: Holding your breath will be hazardous to your health.

I don't know how well I would do with a robotic voice reading to me -- I've been spoiled by good narrators and good audiobooks -- but it sounds like something to try. How would you go about doing this on a PC?

--though I do have (or did have) a Kindle option on this computer that might allow me to pile on the Gutenberg or the DocSouth books.

I have an early Kindle and I tried to listen a few times, but the robotic voice is so monotonous. And it does speak English only. Always a good laugh when you try it with a Getman book! All German words pronounced English - absolutely unrecognizable!

Back