1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Did Union soldier get leave?

Discussion in 'New Recruits Meet & Greet Area' started by CalvinKnight14th, Jun 30, 2013.

1. CalvinKnight14th

CalvinKnight14th Cadet

Did Union soldiers (in particular volunteers from NH) get leave to return home for any period of time?

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Samuel.Sohm

Samuel.Sohm First Sergeant

I cant speak to NH specifically, but furloughs were granted by officers in the field:
    Furlough was also granted as an incentive to re-enlist. Soldiers who re-enlisted became "Veterans" and were authorized a $300 bounty and 30 days furlough from this source:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Nt...nepage&q=Furlough re-enlist civil war&f=false
  4. reading48

reading48 1st Lieutenant

Hello and Greetings from Penna.
  5. phil1861

phil1861 Corporal

I believe the only perscribed furlough for federal soldiers was the mass offer of re enlistment at the three years mark for regiments raised at the beginning of the war for a 30 day leave and veteran volunteer status.
  6. ErnieMac

ErnieMac Sergeant Major Forum Host

GENERAL ORDERS No. 3 ,

HDQRS. ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
    Camp near Falmouth, Va., January 30, 1863.

The following rules will govern officers empowered to grant leaves of absence:
    I. No leave will exceed fifteen days.
    II. Leaves to commanders of corps, divisions, and cavalry brigades will only be granted upon approval at these headquarters. One brigade commander only in a corps to be on leave at one time.
    III. Not more than one field officer of a regiment to be absent on leave at one time, where the full complement of field officers are present. When less than that number, leaves to be granted only in extreme cases.
    IV. Not more than two line officers to be given leave from any regiment at the same time; not more than one from any battery of detachment.
    V. Leaves not to exceed ten days, except to residents of the following States, when it may be given for fifteen days, viz: Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont; Ohio, Michigan, and the States west of these last named.
    VI. Furloughs to enlisted men must in no case exceed two for every 100 men present for duty in the regiment, battery, or detachment, not and to be granted to any men but those having the most excellent record for attention to all duties.
    VII. In case of the failure of any officer or soldier to return before their leave expires, leaves will not be granted to others from the same commands until their return. All applications will, by indorsement or otherwise, state the number of officers or men absent on leave from the command, and the failure to return of any person will be notified immediately to the provost-marshal-general, with a memoranda of the leave, residence of the party, and description of enlisted men.
    VIII. A return from each regiment, battery, and detachment will be forwarded to these headquarters within eight days from the date of this order, showing the number of officers and men absent from duty from any cause whatever.* This return will be made out in form as follows:
    Name. Rank. Regiment. Company. Remarks.
    IX. Under the head of "Remarks" for all enlisted men absent will be given a complete description, age, height, &c., where enlisted, whether or not dropped from the rolls, when and where deserted, where supposed to be, furloughed, detailed at hospital, where, &c.
    X. Under the head of "Remarks" for officers when the absence is of such a nature as to cause dismissal from the service, it should be so stated, that action may be taken thereon.
    XI. The officers will be placed at the head of the list. The enlisted men in the following order: 1st, furloughed men; 2nd, detached; 3rd, absent, sick and wounded, in hospital; 4th, deserters. The list will be aggregate at the end as follows:
    Total absent-Officers........................................
    Furloughed men.................................
    Detached........................................
    Absent, sick and wounded, in hospital, &c.......
    Deserters.......................................
    ---
    Total...........................................
    Tables of these returns will be consolidated by brigades and divisions, and accompany them.
    By command of Major-General Hooker:
    JOS. DICKINSON,
    Assistant Adjutant-General.
    leftyhunter likes this.
  7. ExNavyPilot

ExNavyPilot 2nd Lieutenant

Welcome aboard the forum from Hampton Roads, Virginia.

Do you have a particular soldier in mind? Furloughs were listed on the unit muster rolls and the individual muster roll listings can be found in the soldier's Compiled Service Record (CSR). The CSR can be ordered from the National Archives for $30 (see the thread on Useful Links in the "Researching Your Civil War Ancestors" forum section) or they might be available on sites such as Fold3.com. Unfortunately, it appears that NH is one of those states for whom its soldiers only have the CSR cover sheet on file.
  8. Union_Buff

Union_Buff 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

Hello there and welcome to CWT from New Zealand :smile:
  9. Littlestown

Littlestown 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host

Welcome to the forum!
  10. donna

donna Lt. Colonel Forum Host

Welcome to forum from Kentucky.
  11. M E Wolf

M E Wolf Brigadier General Moderator

CalvinKnight14th,

I look forward to your future postings here and in many of the forums here. We're finding; is that some names are shared by other states, same with roads. So, if you will - when you are talking about Arlington, please denote which one-- Arlington, Virginia, Arlington, Texas, etc. Columbia Pike, is another common road term; so it would help to know where this road is--Virginia or elsewhere. That way, we're able to follow your topic/words/comments and observations.

Please know there are no quotas but, certainly want to hear from you.

Post when you feel comfortable in doing so and at your own speed.

No limits on how much you post.

References are wonderful if you have them. It is great to go to the same book, page and read as another poster has; to read all of what that page has to offer. I like official records myself. So, I post all the information I can as to share.

Personal opinions and comments are welcomed also. So, don't feel this forum requires only references as to post comments about. However, I must mention that it does help when it is expressed when a post is a personal opinion or a statement of facts.

I look forward to your posts. Forums are habit forming, especially when there are new discoveries and pictures.

Yes, they would get leave but, it is often described or word used for leave --'furlough.' Depending on the circumstances, the soldier could get any number of days leave. Depended on the commanding officer in the end or, if the unit he served in were about to do battle when having every man at their post/rifle was important.

Respectfully,
    M. E. Wolf
  12. huskerblitz

huskerblitz Sergeant

I'm a little interested in this as well. One of my ancestors joined his regiment in Jan. of 1862 and served until he was mustered out Jan. of 1865 and all of his muster cards show him present, none mention a furlough or leave. HOWEVER....census records show him having a daughter born in 1864. That certainly has me curious as that may have come about.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)