1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Devil's Den as the Soldiers Saw It

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Gettysburg Greg, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Corporal

You may have seen my recent post and discussion regarding Weaver's series of photographs in the Devil's Den showing live soldiers posing as corpses. Included among Weaver's photographs taken in November of 1863, is the panorama below that shows us the Den just as it appeared to the soldiers four months earlier. The soldiers seen standing on the rocks are the same men seen posing as bodies in my previous post. Compared to my similar modern photo, you can see how many of the rocks were removed in order to construct the road ca. 1900.
    184050_443731745665261_1590869005_n.jpg

PeterT, Bee, reading48 and 1 other person like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Bee

Bee 2nd Lieutenant

Poor rocks -- who needs a stinkin' road :wink: I wonder where they moved the rocks?

8thFlorida, Wallyfish and PeterT like this.
  4. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Corporal

I think some were ground up to make the road, Bee. Others were just dynomited.

Wallyfish, PeterT and Bee like this.
  5. Wallyfish

Wallyfish Corporal Trivia Game Winner

If I remember correctly, there is a rock up the path from the Trough Rock that has many holes drilled in it. I am pretty sure that if that rock was destroyed it would be reduced to rubble.

Now some large rocks were used as bases for monuments. I know that the bottom rocks on the 5th New Hampshire monument on Ayers Avenue are from Gettysburg while the top rock is from NH and is granite as I recall.

There are a couple stone quarries in and around the battlefield so those rocks that are no longer along both Crawford and Warren Avenues as well as the rocks that were along the old trolley line could be anywhere.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Gettysburg Greg, PeterT and Bee like this.
  6. 8thFlorida

8thFlorida Private

I wonder if some of the rocks were moved to create the current path to the top? That would be my guess but I don't know how the National Park Service created the trails.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)